Pipex news

Old May 9th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fitzy_bhoy

Default Pipex news

I notice that there is sometimes terrible delays in downloading even the
smallest of messages. I have read that there is a text only server available
for pipex customers does anyone have the settings for it.

TIA
John

Old May 9th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Maskill

Fitzy_bhoy wrote:

I notice that there is sometimes terrible delays in downloading even the
smallest of messages. I have read that there is a text only server available
for pipex customers does anyone have the settings for it.

TIA
John

news-text.dsl.pipex.com

--
Robert Maskill G4PYR
Peterborough Cambridgeshire
Old May 9th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aj

the server is

"news-text.dsl.pipex.com"

Use the same settings as the standard "news.dsl.pipex.com" server

Old May 9th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 09 May 2004 11:38:05 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband Robert
Maskill strung together this:

Fitzy_bhoy wrote:

I notice that there is sometimes terrible delays in downloading even the
smallest of messages. I have read that there is a text only server available
for pipex customers does anyone have the settings for it.

TIA
John

news-text.dsl.pipex.com

I was using that and found that it was faster but still a bit on th
slow side at times, so I use 195.129.110.67, which is the IP of
news-text.dsl.pipex.com.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old May 11th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Maskill

Main wrote:

Why is Pipex so bloody slow then and still accepting our cash? Excuses all
the time!

Over the past month I have been comparing news-text.dsl.pipex.com and
news.individual.net across a variety of text newsgroups and without
exception the pipex text server is faster at both newsgroup list
downloading and also displaying messages.

Tests were done using 2 computers sharing the same BB connection, one
using Me and the other 98se.

One machine is a 233MMX and the other is a 700 MHz Pentium 3.

Both news servers were run on both machines in turn, so for example the
German server on the 233MMX was compared with the Pipex one on the other
then they were swapped over and always the pipex one came out better
irrespective of the machine.

I have not looked at the binary server as they are not of interest to me.

I will admit it was not a scientific test, just one comparing downloads
of the same file from 2 different servers at the same time. It was done
purely out of curiosity