OT - Legality of recording TV to timeshift.

Old May 9th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default OT - Legality of recording TV to timeshift.

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?
Old May 9th 04, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

Ian Stirling wrote:

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

I have the impression that legislation tends to spell out illegalities
(legalities go by default), except for cases where the legislation is
revoking earlier legislation.

--
Alec McKenzie

Old May 9th 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

Of course you understand that our legal system is comprised of "Case Law",
(the Judges make it up as they go along).

If a broadcaster did try and take you to Court however I don't think he
would have a proverbial to stand on.
In defence you would ask him, if you weren't encouraging people to record
programmes,
Why do (did) you supply EPG data for Sky Plus (& TiVo)?
& Provide PDC signals?

Graham.

Old May 9th 04, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj

Ian Stirling wrote:

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

It is legal to record for time-shifting purposes, up to a maximum time of 90
days.

--
Now Playing: Fun Boy 3 - Our Lips Are Sealed [192kbps mp3]
Old May 9th 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Gibson

"nsj" wrote in message
Ian Stirling wrote:

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

It is legal to record for time-shifting purposes, up to a maximum time of

90
days.

--

90 days from when?

Is my recording of the 1953 Coronation illegal? (recorded say 60 days ago).

Is it ok to record old repeats?

Dave

Old May 9th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

nsj wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

It is legal to record for time-shifting purposes, up to a maximum time of 90
days.

Can you point me at an actual act of parliment, or other law that says
this?
Old May 9th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

nsj wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

It is legal to record for time-shifting purposes, up to a maximum time

of 90
days.

Can you point me at an actual act of parliment, or other law that says
this?

Can you not use Google then?

"70. The making for private and domestic use of a recording of a
broadcast or cable programme solely for the purpose of enabling it to be
viewed or listened to at a more convenient time does not infringe any
copyright in the broadcast or cable programme or in any work included in
it."

Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988...80048_en_1.htm

Old May 9th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

nsj wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

It is legal to record for time-shifting purposes, up to a maximum time

of 90
days.

Can you point me at an actual act of parliment, or other law that says
this?

Can you not use Google then?

I can use google, I was apparenly hitting the wrong keywords.

Old May 9th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

nsj wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Is this actually spelled out in legislation?

It is legal to record for time-shifting purposes, up to a maximum time

of 90
days.

Can you point me at an actual act of parliment, or other law that says
this?

Can you not use Google then?

"70. The making for private and domestic use of a recording of a
broadcast or cable programme solely for the purpose of enabling it to be
viewed or listened to at a more convenient time does not infringe any
copyright in the broadcast or cable programme or in any work included in
it."

Interesting.
This would not seem to require you to own the recorder, or even to
pick the programs in advance.

It would seem easy to argue that there is nothing prohibiting the
setting up of a service that recorded programs for users, and let them
play them back later.

The hard part would be proving that users of this service had legitimate
access to the programs.
Old May 9th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

nsj wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

What you are forgetting is that there is a shed load of more recent
legislation that updates this. You need to pick through about three
more Acts of Parliament and a dozen statutory instruments to get the
full picture.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195