DLINK DSL 300T Problems

Old May 9th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex H

Default DLINK DSL 300T Problems

I am experiencing problems using the 300T ethernet modems. (I am using the
latest firmware) Does anyone know if this model can work as NON-NAT and if it
has a built in firewall, how to turn it off.

I normally use the DLINK DSL300G+, without any problems but it has now been
superseded by the 300T.

Thanks

Alex
--
Alex Harris
Remove NEWS to reply
Old May 10th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fish

Alex H wrote:
I am experiencing problems using the 300T ethernet modems. (I am using the
latest firmware) Does anyone know if this model can work as NON-NAT and if it
has a built in firewall, how to turn it off.

I normally use the DLINK DSL300G+, without any problems but it has now been
superseded by the 300T.

Thanks

Alex
--
Alex Harris
Remove NEWS to reply

I've tried telnetting to the modem using name root and password admin
but no luck - maybe you will have better luck. This is the combo given
elsewhere on the web but DLink could have changed it in the UK firmware.

The other workaround I've seen is to export the modem's settings as a
xml file, edit it, and upload the result to the modem. You'll need to
google for the precise details but essentially it involves looking for a
key for NAT and changing a 1 to a 0. Again, I don't know whether this
works for the UK firmware. Others have reported success issuing
Linux-style commands after telnetting in.

Inspecting the xml file shows that there are a huge number of settings
hidden inside the modem, including a Linux firewall and pre-configured
port forwardings for a whole lot of things, including games like Delta
Force. The fact that absolutely none of this is accessible from the web
interface, even on the basis of on or off, or mentioned anywhere in the
manual, suggests that this modem is way, way off being ready for
release. Owners may well be within their rights to return it under the
trading laws. What a mess!

Fish