Netgear DG834 Router/Modem/Firewall

Old May 9th 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob

Default Netgear DG834 Router/Modem/Firewall

I'm after a decent router/modem/firewall (not wireless) for around £50-60.
Any recommendations? I'm currently swayed towards the netgear dg834 which
is £62 at amazon.

Old May 9th 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Gibson

"bob" wrote in message
I'm after a decent router/modem/firewall (not wireless) for around £50-60.
Any recommendations? I'm currently swayed towards the netgear dg834 which
is £62 at amazon.

I have had the DG834 (NON WiFi version) for a couple of months now, and it
has been on 24/7 and had no problems at all (updated it to latest v1.4
firmware).

I have heard people have had problems though, predominantly the WiFi
version, check out other threads in this NG.

Personally would be happy to recommend.

Dave

Old May 9th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr_K

http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...4Review_01.htm

Gets a good write up and also mentions niggles

Old May 9th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Dave Gibson" wrote in message
news

"bob" wrote in message
I'm after a decent router/modem/firewall (not wireless) for around

£50-60.
Any recommendations? I'm currently swayed towards the netgear dg834

which
is £62 at amazon.

I have had the DG834 (NON WiFi version) for a couple of months now, and it
has been on 24/7 and had no problems at all (updated it to latest v1.4
firmware).

I have heard people have had problems though, predominantly the WiFi
version, check out other threads in this NG.

Personally would be happy to recommend.

Dave

No problem here - mine runs 24/7 wired/wireless and is very stable

cheers

Mark

Old May 10th 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

"bob" wrote in message
I'm after a decent router/modem/firewall (not wireless) for around £50-60.
Any recommendations? I'm currently swayed towards the netgear dg834 which
is £62 at amazon.

I've had mine a month.

It froze up 4 times yesterday alone. It's not just the wireless that freezes
but the wired lan as well. (it seems to freeze when I don't have a wireless
client)

Also the initial version out of the box wouldn't handle VPN so I needed to
upgrade the firmware immediately.

It just isn't a finished product, I wouldn't recomend that anyone buy it.

Old May 10th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tommy

"Frank X" wrote in message

"bob" wrote in message
I'm after a decent router/modem/firewall (not wireless) for around

£50-60.
Any recommendations? I'm currently swayed towards the netgear dg834

which
is £62 at amazon.

I've had mine a month.

It froze up 4 times yesterday alone. It's not just the wireless that

freezes
but the wired lan as well. (it seems to freeze when I don't have a

wireless
client)

Also the initial version out of the box wouldn't handle VPN so I needed to
upgrade the firmware immediately.

It just isn't a finished product, I wouldn't recomend that anyone buy it.

Ive been running a DG834G for three months almost. It has never locked up
or crashed once since it was installed. A fine piece of kit, that is
working very well at my location. Go and get one....

Tommy

Old May 10th 04, 01:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

"Tommy" wrote in message
It just isn't a finished product, I wouldn't recomend that anyone buy

it.

Ive been running a DG834G for three months almost. It has never locked up
or crashed once since it was installed. A fine piece of kit, that is
working very well at my location. Go and get one....

What version of the firmware are you using?

I have found 1.04.01 freezes up and 1.03.00 wouldn't allow vpn pass-through
connections (confirmed by netgear).

If the problem is faulty hardware and not just crap firmware, I'll get a
replacement, but I'm not convinced because I've seen a few people having the
same freezing problems.

Old May 10th 04, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Frank X wrote:
"bob" wrote in message
I'm after a decent router/modem/firewall (not wireless) for around
£50-60. Any recommendations? I'm currently swayed towards the
netgear dg834 which is £62 at amazon.

I've had mine a month.

It froze up 4 times yesterday alone. It's not just the wireless that
freezes but the wired lan as well. (it seems to freeze when I don't
have a wireless client)

Also the initial version out of the box wouldn't handle VPN so I
needed to upgrade the firmware immediately.

It just isn't a finished product, I wouldn't recomend that anyone buy
it.

I've had mine since December. It occasionally throws a tantrum but has
basically been pretty solid. I've upgraded to 1.03.00 to 1.04.00 and now
1.04.01. When I upgraded to 1.04.01 I did see the wireless side drop when
clients wereen't connected. This problem has completely vanished since I
disabled SSID broadcast. I have read on forums elsewhere that this has fixed
the problem for other(s) too. I run up to three wireless clients and a wired
Xbox. It has stayed up fine through lengthy P2P sessions and big FTP
transfers.

At the time of writing I have 248 hours of uptime since the last reboot
(when I was fiddling around changing port forwarding rules for P2P).

--
Please remove leading underscore to reply by email.

Old May 10th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
Frank X wrote:
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

I disabled SSID an it appeared to improve for a while, but recently it has
gone back to freezing up.

At the time of writing I have 248 hours of uptime since the last reboot
(when I was fiddling around changing port forwarding rules for P2P).

Yep I use the features of the device like port forwarding, perhaps that is
my mistake. Perhaps if I do a full reset and reload the firmware it will be
OK, perhaps not.

Anyway it's a lot more work than I would expect. I'm especially sceptical of
the quality of the firmware given my initial problems with VPN.