DSL 604+ Networking?

Old May 10th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

Default DSL 604+ Networking?

Hi all,

I've got a D-Link DSL 604+ Wireless broadband router that (touch wood)
seems to work OK.

I have connected to it a hard-wired machine and 2 wireless laptops, all
sharing my BTO adsl link..

This may seem like a dumb question, but is it possible to actually network
these 3 computers together (to share files, printers etc...) and if so
how??

I had set up Windows XP networking in the past...Is that all that is
needed, or can I configure the router to do it?

I am *moderately* router savvy, but this is a bit beyond me

Cheers
--

Regards

John [Harold Hill, Essex, UK]
Remove the obvious spamtrap to reply
Old May 11th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

JC johncalias-newsgroupsATyahooD0TcoD0Tuk wrote in
:

I've got a D-Link DSL 604+ Wireless broadband router that (touch
wood) seems to work OK.

I have connected to it a hard-wired machine and 2 wireless
laptops, all sharing my BTO adsl link..

This may seem like a dumb question, but is it possible to actually
network these 3 computers together (to share files, printers
etc...) and if so how??

I had set up Windows XP networking in the past...Is that all that
is needed, or can I configure the router to do it?

Your PCs *are* networked together. The trick is to get them to 'see'
each other. It has very little to do with the router, largely
operating system things.

There's shed loads of info on the DSL-604+ in the eXpansys support
forum. Have a read of the following:
http://www.expansys.com/forumthread....LUS&thread=148
&man=D-LIN

Be aware that simple Windows networks rely on communication between
the PCs on ports 137, 138, 139. A software firewall blocking such
traffic is the usual cause of PCs not 'seeing' each other.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.