BT disconnection

Old May 11th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fishywishywoo

Default BT disconnection

I've just had my line disconnected by BT as I'm moving house and I asked
them to. Just out of interest, I tried fireing up my Pipex ADSL connection
and it still works, even though there is no dial tone.

Now I imagine it's because they haven't disconnect the ADSL stuff or
whatever yet. If so, why can't you have ADSL without having to have a BT
account? Why do we get charged twice for line rental and then again by our
service provider who have to pay BT as well?

Surely it's unfair to make us all have BT phone accounts, even if we don't
want one.

Does anyone know if this situation might change in the future? Especially as
I now use Skype (Voice over IP) to talk to all my friends and family.

Fishywishywoo

Old May 11th 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"fishywishywoo" wrote in message
Now I imagine it's because they haven't disconnect the ADSL stuff or
whatever yet. If so, why can't you have ADSL without having to have a BT
account? Why do we get charged twice for line rental and then again by our
service provider who have to pay BT as well?

Surely it's unfair to make us all have BT phone accounts, even if we don't
want one.

In theory you can have this now.

In reality, this would just mean your monthly ADSL charge going up by about
£10 - hence it woudn't lead to a cost saving and is the reason why nobody
has done this.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 11th 04, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"fishywishywoo" wrote in message
I've just had my line disconnected by BT as I'm moving house and I asked
them to. Just out of interest, I tried fireing up my Pipex ADSL connection
and it still works, even though there is no dial tone.

Now I imagine it's because they haven't disconnect the ADSL stuff or
whatever yet. If so, why can't you have ADSL without having to have a BT
account? Why do we get charged twice for line rental and then again by our
service provider who have to pay BT as well?

Surely it's unfair to make us all have BT phone accounts, even if we don't
want one.

Does anyone know if this situation might change in the future? Especially

as
I now use Skype (Voice over IP) to talk to all my friends and family.

Fishywishywoo

You are not paying twice, you are paying for 2 separate services. One
being
the rental of line between the exchange and your home, the other been the
providing of your adsl service. I know one needs the other, but they are
billed
separately.

Andrew

Old May 12th 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

fishywishywoo wrote:
I've just had my line disconnected by BT as I'm moving house and I
asked them to. Just out of interest, I tried fireing up my Pipex
ADSL connection and it still works, even though there is no dial
tone.

Now I imagine it's because they haven't disconnect the ADSL stuff or
whatever yet. If so, why can't you have ADSL without having to have
a BT account? Why do we get charged twice for line rental and then
again by our service provider who have to pay BT as well?

Surely it's unfair to make us all have BT phone accounts, even if
we don't want one.

Does anyone know if this situation might change in the future?
Especially as I now use Skype (Voice over IP) to talk to all my
friends and family.

Fishywishywoo

But who's going to maintain the network which feeds the ADSL to your
propert, you don't get something for nothing...