Simple ISDN question

Old May 11th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Cocker

Default Simple ISDN question

Just bought a house, and found out that the previous owner had ISDN
installed there.

I am about to have broadband installed in the place, so I don't really need
it. However, I am very keen to have a standard phone line working from the
same location where the ISDN is installed (planned to be used as an office).

I put a photo of the set-up he
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/1_resize.jpg

What would be the easiest way to have a working phone line based on this
set-up?

Also, who owns the ISDN box? Can I flog it on EBay or similar? Does it have
any value at all?

TIA,

J.

Old May 11th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Joe Cocker" wrote in message
I put a photo of the set-up he
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/1_resize.jpg

"The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit"

Also, who owns the ISDN box? Can I flog it on EBay or similar? Does it

have
any value at all?

BT....

Regards
Sunil

Old May 11th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Cocker

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Joe Cocker" wrote in message
I put a photo of the set-up he
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/1_resize.jpg

"The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit"

Oops! try this one instead
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/smoli/1_resize.jpg

Old May 11th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Joe Cocker" wrote in message
I put a photo of the set-up he
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/1_resize.jpg

"The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit"

Oops! try this one instead
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/smoli/1_resize.jpg

Are you are having the ADSL installed on a different BT line or do you want
ADSL installed on the line in the picture ?

I ask as if you have an Home Highway box (whats shown in the picture) - ADSL
won't work on that line and BT will have to physically remove the HH box
before it does.

Normally, they charge 50 to do this, but as you have only just moved in,
they will downgrade you to a "normal" line free of charge* - make sure they
know that you want the box physically removed.

Even if you are having ADSL installed on a 2nd BT line, you can stil ask BT
to remove the HH box, on this line - leaving you with a "standard" line for
your office.. However, if you are not getting ADSL on this line, it may not
be necessary for BT to actually remove the box but just disable the HH/ISDN
side at the exchange.

As for ownership - the HH box belongs to BT.. hence you can't really ebay it
etc and you probably woudn't get anything if you could anyway. (though BT
are likely just to dump it when they have removed it)

* http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/00023.htm
is the relevant entry in the BT Price list - "PSTN Conversion charge from
Highway for homemovers"

Regards
Sunil

Old May 11th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Joe Cocker wrote:

Just bought a house, and found out that the previous owner had ISDN
installed there.

I am about to have broadband installed in the place, so I don't
really need it. However, I am very keen to have a standard phone line
working from the same location where the ISDN is installed (planned
to be used as an office).

I put a photo of the set-up he
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/1_resize.jpg

What would be the easiest way to have a working phone line based on
this set-up?

Also, who owns the ISDN box? Can I flog it on EBay or similar? Does
it have any value at all?

TIA,

J.

You'll probably find that the Anaolog1 port on the HH box works as a
standard phone line already.

If you want ADSL on *this* line (as opposed to a different line), the HH
box - which belongs to BT - will have to be removed. The little junction box
to the left of the HH box can then be replaced with a standard master
socket.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 11th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sunil Sood wrote:

"Joe Cocker" wrote in message
I put a photo of the set-up he
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/1_resize.jpg

snip
Are you are having the ADSL installed on a different BT line or do you want
ADSL installed on the line in the picture ?

I ask as if you have an Home Highway box (whats shown in the picture) - ADSL
won't work on that line and BT will have to physically remove the HH box
before it does.

Normally, they charge ?50 to do this, but as you have only just moved in,
they will downgrade you to a "normal" line free of charge* - make sure they
know that you want the box physically removed.

You (the OP) probably don't want to do this.
If you wants fast internet connection, and for some reason
ADSL is not possible, then you may want HH installed instead.
It's cheaper to find an ISP that supports a "managed conversion",
where they get BT to come round, remove your HH box, install ADSL
equipment at the exchange, and verify your line supports ADSL.
If it does not, then they reinstall the HH box, at no cost.

You can then use the HH box with surftime 24/7 (or whatever they are
calling it) to get a nice reliable 64K connection, faster than a modem,
and quicker to dial.

Plusnet support this, and of course I'd be grateful if you'd enter "mauve"
into the referrer box.
There are of course other ISPs that do this, but some (demon for example)
don't.
Old May 11th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Joe Cocker wrote:
Just bought a house, and found out that the previous owner had ISDN
installed there.

I am about to have broadband installed in the place, so I don't
really need it. However, I am very keen to have a standard phone line
working from the same location where the ISDN is installed (planned
to be used as an office).

I put a photo of the set-up he
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/1_resize.jpg

What would be the easiest way to have a working phone line based on
this set-up?

Also, who owns the ISDN box? Can I flog it on EBay or similar? Does
it have any value at all?

Thats quite a new BT box from what I can tell. Have you actually passed the
line test for adsl? It may be that the previous occupyers had isdn because
they could not get adsl..

Old May 11th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Also, who owns the ISDN box? Can I flog it on EBay or similar? Does
it have any value at all?

BT own it and without the card at the exchange its utterly useless.

Even then you need a System X or AXE10 to host the card.

Old May 11th 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Cocker

"Beck" wrote in message
Joe Cocker wrote:
[...]

Good point. How do I actually get the line tested?

Sorry about my ignorance, but I have been using cable for BB for a long time
and have no idea about ADSL.

I intend to get a plusnet account once I move in about a month time.

Old May 12th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Joe Cocker wrote:

Thats quite a new BT box from what I can tell. Have you actually
passed the line test for adsl? It may be that the previous
occupyers had isdn because they could not get adsl..

Good point. How do I actually get the line tested?

Sorry about my ignorance, but I have been using cable for BB for a
long time and have no idea about ADSL.

I intend to get a plusnet account once I move in about a month time.

You get the line tested by placing an order with your chosen company. It
will take them a few days to do the line test. They will inform you if your
line is a goodun'. Thats it really.
If you are not moving for another month then its best not to place the order
yet as once it goes through they will start billing you. If you do the HH
conversion like others have suggested, then if the line is not adequate,
they will reverted it back to isdn for you.