ADSHell - Would an old disused phone line prevent connection?

Old May 11th 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark E

Default ADSHell - Would an old disused phone line prevent connection?

Provider : PlusNet
Modem/Router : Net Gear DG834UK
Problem : Cannot get connected!!

I received the message from Plusnet that I am ADSL enabled, so I sought
suitable equipment plugged the microfilter into the wall phone socket in
the living room (the only BT box in the property) and the modem as per
instructions and....nothing. The green light that is supposed to be lit
on the front of the modem router comes on for about a second when you
switch on then goes off immediately. Checked again with PlusNet who
inform me I am definitely connected to ADSL.

Then I remember that there appears to be the another phone line cable
(the original I assume) in the hallway just bare cable with the end
snipped. Removed by previous occupants I would guess in the 1970's.

Is it likely that this old line is still active and fouling the works
because a micofilter is not attached to it so preventing ADSL to the
"new" socket?

If so can I wire up a BT box to this old cable? And if so what type of
box should I be looking for.

Any advice gratefully received, or thoughts on what else could be
causing the problem. I'm starting to wish I stayed with Ye Olde 56k!

Regards

Mark

Old May 11th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Mark E wrote:
Provider : PlusNet
Modem/Router : Net Gear DG834UK
Problem : Cannot get connected!!

Any advice gratefully received, or thoughts on what else could be
causing the problem. I'm starting to wish I stayed with Ye Olde 56k!

Regards

Mark

take the filters out and lift the handset of your phone and dial say 0, is
the line quiet or nosier than usual??, not quite scientific but if its
noisier then you can assume that ADSL is enabled

Now log onto the BT test page - this is to make sure things are working at
BTs end:

Configure your ADSL as
VPI 0
VCI 38
IP address 0.0.0.0
User name [email protected]_domain
Password any string - but put something in

then try
Try to browse http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo/custdemo

if all the above works then connect to PlusNet using the settings given

see how you get on, more info at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.as...roubleshooting

jon

Old May 11th 04, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mark E wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering whether BT have ADSL-enabled the wrong line! Is there a
voltage across your disconneced wires?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 11th 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark E

In article , says...
Mark E wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that Jon though as I seem to be getting no ADSL signal at
all, its not possible to check if I am ADSL enabled.

I still think its this other phone line (cut off at the end) that's the
problem. Just read this from a web site and I hope it does not apply to
my setup :

"In some rare instances a jack socket may be installed to allow the
telephone to be relocated. This type of installation is not suitable for
ADSL as it is not possible to install microfilters. If your telephone
installation is a hardwired system then the chances are you are still
renting your telephone from BT."

Surely if this was the case PlusNet would have informed me that it would
not be possible to get ADSL??

Confused...and bewildered

Old May 11th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark E

In article , says...
Mark E wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the thought, no idea if there is voltage the end is painted
over and I'm loathed to tamper with it in case the phone packs up too!
That would be the final straw!
Old May 11th 04, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Mark E wrote:

Thanks for that Jon though as I seem to be getting no ADSL signal at
all, its not possible to check if I am ADSL enabled.

I still think its this other phone line (cut off at the end) that's
the problem. Just read this from a web site and I hope it does not
apply to my setup :

"In some rare instances a jack socket may be installed to allow the
telephone to be relocated. This type of installation is not suitable
for ADSL as it is not possible to install microfilters. If your
telephone installation is a hardwired system then the chances are you
are still renting your telephone from BT."

Surely if this was the case PlusNet would have informed me that it
would not be possible to get ADSL??

Confused...and bewildered

Mmmmm, have you tried 150 or is it 151 and specifically asked them if ADSL
is / has been enabled on your line (as opposed to PlusNet?)

Old May 11th 04, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hill

On 2004-05-11, Jonathan Pearson wrote:
Mark E wrote:

[...]

I can't speak for plusnet, but generally ISP's can't tell if ADSL has
been enabled on your line, they just have to go from BT saying that
it's been done.

They should however run a test on your line though, and see if
anything comes up.

James

Old May 11th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mark E wrote:

"In some rare instances a jack socket may be installed to allow the
telephone to be relocated. This type of installation is not suitable
for ADSL as it is not possible to install microfilters. If your
telephone installation is a hardwired system then the chances are you
are still renting your telephone from BT."

This is referring to the way in which phones used to be installed 30 years
ago - with virtually everything permanently wired in. Anything which *could*
be unplugged would be using a 1/4" diameter cylindrical jack plug.

The vast majority of old installations have been converted to current spec -
using modular master and extension sockets. Each phone - or other device -
is plugged in using a flat 6-pin plug.

If you have been using an ordinary modem prior to converting to ADSL, you
must *surely* have modular sockets. If you have managed to plug your
microfilter in somewhere (even if the line doesn't work!) you *must* have
modular sockets - otherwise there'd be nowhere to plug it!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 11th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Prof Rumpo

In article , says...
Mark E wrote:

[...]

Yes I have a master socket to plug phone/modem etc, but I also have this
mysterious old phone cable in another room which comes out of the
ceiling with the end simply cut off.
Old May 11th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Try here courtesy of Sunil

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...UM=...&TELNUM=...

Replacing the 1st ... with your BT Account number and the second one with
your telephone number - this shows the progress of all current orders
against your phone number.

It should tell you if BT have completed the work.