Speedtouch USB

Old May 12th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cap Smith

Default Speedtouch USB

When installing this modem it installs as a dial-up connection (with a ADSL
connection speed). Can one install it as a Local Area Connection?

Cap

Old May 12th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Cap Smith" wrote in
:

When installing this modem it installs as a dial-up connection (with a
ADSL connection speed). Can one install it as a Local Area
Connection?

That's how the USB modems work. It uses the dialup mechanism to initiate
a connection and authenticate. You could get it to automatically dial on
startup by editing a local security policy, but it'll still be a "dialup"
connection. You could replace the modem with an ethernet modem or ADSL
router if you really don't like the dialup.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old May 12th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cap Smith

"Phil Chung" wrote in message
"Cap Smith" wrote in
:

When installing this modem it installs as a dial-up connection (with a
ADSL connection speed). Can one install it as a Local Area
Connection?

That's how the USB modems work. It uses the dialup mechanism to initiate
a connection and authenticate. You could get it to automatically dial on
startup by editing a local security policy, but it'll still be a "dialup"
connection. You could replace the modem with an ethernet modem or ADSL
router if you really don't like the dialup.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH

On my other machine I have a USB binatone and it is on Local Area
Connection!

Cap

Old May 12th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Cap Smith" wrote in
:

On my other machine I have a USB binatone and it is on Local Area
Connection!

Okay... just had a look at the Binatone modem and it seems it uses a web
page for the settings? In which case it's the modem that holds the
settings and initiates the connection in a similar way to a router. In
essence this works in a similar way to the old Speedtouch Home single
port routers and the network interface is provided by the Binatone in a
similar way to USB to ethernet adapters.

The Speedtouch USB modem does not hold settings so depends on the dialup
mechanism to initiate the connection. I take you don't have to "dial up"
the Binatone modem when you want to use the Internet connection?

Old May 12th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cap Smith

"Phil Chung" wrote in message
"Cap Smith" wrote in
:

On my other machine I have a USB binatone and it is on Local Area
Connection!

Okay... just had a look at the Binatone modem and it seems it uses a web
page for the settings? In which case it's the modem that holds the
settings and initiates the connection in a similar way to a router. In
essence this works in a similar way to the old Speedtouch Home single
port routers and the network interface is provided by the Binatone in a
similar way to USB to ethernet adapters.

The Speedtouch USB modem does not hold settings so depends on the dialup
mechanism to initiate the connection. I take you don't have to "dial up"
the Binatone modem when you want to use the Internet connection?

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH

Correct. Thanks for the info.

Cap

Old May 12th 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MC

What "Local security policy" will make the connection dial at startup?

"Phil Chung" wrote in message
"Cap Smith" wrote in
:

Old May 12th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 12 May 2004, MC uttered the following:

What "Local security policy" will make the connection dial at startup?

Maybe not local security policy... I can't remember what now as I haven't
used the Speedtouch modem for years. Involved calling rasdial to dial
the connection. There'll be other ways of achieving the same thing, but
I placed it into a local policy that dialed the connection before WinXP's
login screen.

I think it was this: http://snipurl.com/6c55

But the command was something like:

rasdial connection name username password

Worked a treat and that's what I used until I bought a router.
--
3rd law of thermodynamics: things go worse under pressure
Old May 12th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Phil Chung" wrote in message
"Cap Smith" wrote in
:

On my other machine I have a USB binatone and it is on Local Area
Connection!

Okay... just had a look at the Binatone modem and it seems it uses a web
page for the settings? In which case it's the modem that holds the
settings and initiates the connection in a similar way to a router. In
essence this works in a similar way to the old Speedtouch Home single
port routers and the network interface is provided by the Binatone in a
similar way to USB to ethernet adapters.

The Speedtouch USB modem does not hold settings so depends on the dialup
mechanism to initiate the connection. I take you don't have to "dial up"
the Binatone modem when you want to use the Internet connection?

How come my SpeedTouch ISDN adaptor (which is on a serial port) has both LAN
(Ethernet) and WAN (Dial up) type drivers. And it actually does dial a
number which it must store somewhere.....

Old May 13th 04, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"David Wade" wrote in
:

How come my SpeedTouch ISDN adaptor (which is on a serial port) has
both LAN (Ethernet) and WAN (Dial up) type drivers. And it actually
does dial a number which it must store somewhere.....

Depends on how companies wish to implement device drivers? I've not used
any ISDN products before so wouldn't know about them.