Non-NAT router choice (ie: 8 static IPs)

Old May 12th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Non-NAT router choice (ie: 8 static IPs)

Hi all,

About to get a non-NAT ADSL setup from Zen (ie: 8 static IPs, 1 for
router, 1 for network, 1 for broadcast, 5 free for hosts). What do
people think would be a good router to use in this configuration
(bridged) as I won't be using any of the fancy port forwarding
facilities etc that come as standard on most routers (when used in a
NAT'd setup) ...

Suggestions welcome!

cheers,
James.
Old May 12th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
James wrote:
Hi all,

About to get a non-NAT ADSL setup from Zen (ie: 8 static IPs, 1 for
router, 1 for network, 1 for broadcast, 5 free for hosts). What do
people think would be a good router to use in this configuration
(bridged) as I won't be using any of the fancy port forwarding
facilities etc that come as standard on most routers (when used in a
NAT'd setup) ...

I've just setup a Netgear unit to do just this for a company who has
a routed /29 off their ADSL ISP. Not sure what you mean about bridged
though. They get 1 IP address on the ADSL side and 8 on the inside, 2
are network/broadcast addresses, so 6 usable. (One is obviously for the
router itself on the LAN side, so 5 usable as you put above)

I don't have the model number to hand, it's one of their round edged
silver units - 1 ADSL port, 4 Ethernet ports. (I think it's the DG834
though)

Gordon