Local network via ring main

Old May 12th 04, 01:31 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Gardner

Default Local network via ring main

My Italian brother who lives in Luxembourg has seen offered by the
Luxembourg state post office a system of setting up your home internal
network by piggy-backing on the house mains power supply.

About euro100 per machine and thus no additional wiring network and no
need to rely on dodgy wireless networks either.

Anyone any knowledge or experience of this technology and its drawbacks?

Old May 12th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
My Italian brother who lives in Luxembourg has seen offered by the
Luxembourg state post office a system of setting up your home internal
network by piggy-backing on the house mains power supply.

About euro100 per machine and thus no additional wiring network and no
need to rely on dodgy wireless networks either.

Anyone any knowledge or experience of this technology and its drawbacks?

Google for "HomePNA"

Regards
Sunil

Old May 12th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"chris" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:31:25 +0100 and in article [email protected]
192.168.0.3, Simon Gardner said...
:
: About euro100 per machine and thus no additional wiring network and no
: need to rely on dodgy wireless networks either.
:
: Anyone any knowledge or experience of this technology and its drawbacks?
:
Yeah, ADSLguide did a review of a piece of kit that does exactly this.
It's quite a bit slower than 100mbit tho.

Solwise sell some of the equipment. See
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm for details

Paul

Old May 13th 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Paul G" wrote:

Solwise sell some of the equipment. See
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm for details

Thanks. I'll pass it on to him.

So nobody has actually tried this technology, then?

Old May 13th 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Paul G" wrote:

Solwise sell some of the equipment. See
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm for details

Thanks. I'll pass it on to him.

So nobody has actually tried this technology, then?

I tried the Solwise system for a client of mine and it unfortunately didn't
work in their situation.

The problem was the distance involved and the fact that the 2 ends were on
different consumer units. I spent ages moving the supply on one of the
sockets through the 3 different phases to make sure that they were both on
the same phase and it still didn't work. With both units plugged in via the
same consumer unit it worked fine though.

I ended up wiring CAT5 60 metres through concrete floors and an underground
car park...

Paul

Old May 13th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Tuddenham

wrote:

In article ,
"Paul G" wrote:

Solwise sell some of the equipment. See
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm for details

Thanks. I'll pass it on to him.

So nobody has actually tried this technology, then?

Yes:

"Wired Wireless"
Wireless World Vol XLVI P98 January 1940

It didn't work properly then, either.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
(Change 'offline' to 'online' to reply)
Old May 13th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Ridd

On 13/5/04 6:47 pm, in article
, "Adrian Tuddenham"

In article ,
"Paul G" wrote:

Solwise sell some of the equipment. See
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm for details

Thanks. I'll pass it on to him.

So nobody has actually tried this technology, then?

Yes:

"Wired Wireless"
Wireless World Vol XLVI P98 January 1940

It didn't work properly then, either.

!

It was popular-ish in the early nineties, from what I recall. Farallon made
something? It obviously never really set the world alight, did it?

Cheers,

Chris

Old May 13th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
leeg

Chris Ridd wrote:

On 13/5/04 6:47 pm, in article
, "Adrian Tuddenham"

So nobody has actually tried this technology, then?

Yes:

"Wired Wireless"
Wireless World Vol XLVI P98 January 1940

It didn't work properly then, either.

It was popular-ish in the early nineties, from what I recall. Farallon
made something? It obviously never really set the world alight, did it?

It will set the world alight next time you have a power surge with your NIC
plugged in...or at least enough of the world to be expensive and harmful!
--
Graham Lee
I am leeg, for we are many

Old May 14th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
J. J. Lodder

wrote:

My Italian brother who lives in Luxembourg has seen offered by the
Luxembourg state post office a system of setting up your home internal
network by piggy-backing on the house mains power supply.

But not between phases.

About euro100 per machine and thus no additional wiring network and no
need to rely on dodgy wireless networks either.

Which is a bit expensive, for speeds comparable to 10 Mb ethernet.
According to the (continental) reviews I have seen it works fine.
Cost/speed restricts it to a niche market for special cases where
drawing ethernet cabling or airport use is really impractical.

The ridiculous UK system of having house wiring in rings
(to save a few pounds worth of copper,
at an increased risk of calamities)
might spoil things though,
since you always will have two pathways
with different delays, possibly interfering.

Best,

Jan