BT Broadband Basic

Old May 12th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default BT Broadband Basic

Hi,

I would like to "downgrade" from BT Broadband to BT Broadband Basic.
However, I noticed a few weird things in the comparison between the
two services:

1. You are forced to purchase a modem from them. I already have a BT
Voyager 2000 wireless modem which I plan to use, so I wonder if I have
to spend those 50.

2. They claim that Macintosh computers are not supported. Since the
computer communicates with the modem through a standard Ethernet
connection or via WiFi, I don't see how Mac or PC would make any sort
of difference. I have a Mac and my current setup works great...

3. They claim that one cannot use more than two computers
simultaneously. Again, since the modem creates a local network and
then acts as a firewall to communicate with the outside world, I don't
see how the connection would "feel" if there are more than one
computer on the local network.

The only thing I would see that enforces points 2 or 3 is that they
somehow cripple the connection so that only the single-machine USB
modem they provide you works and that this particular modem has no
driver for the Mac. Is this the case? If yes, I am baffled by such a
poor service... I actually spent half an hour with BT on the phone
this morning trying to clarify this issue, but the incompetence level
in this country reaches astronomic levels, so it seems to be
impossible to get anything useful out of these people...

Martin