Plusnet Data Allowance

Old May 12th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

Default Plusnet Data Allowance

Hi,

I am using the new Plusnet £14.99 per month broadband which is capped at 1GB
per month. How do I see how much data I have?

There is an option in the control panel for stats, but it looks like the
stats for dial-up and not broadband.

Old May 12th 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in
:

I am using the new Plusnet £14.99 per month broadband which is capped
at 1GB per month. How do I see how much data I have?

There is an option in the control panel for stats, but it looks like
the stats for dial-up and not broadband.

I understand that that part of the system hasn't been written yet and the
first month or two you'll get uncapped service! Don't take my word for it
though, raise a contact us ticket through the member portal.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old May 12th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ford

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Hi,

I am using the new Plusnet £14.99 per month broadband which is capped at

1GB
per month. How do I see how much data I have?

There is an option in the control panel for stats, but it looks like the
stats for dial-up and not broadband.

Yes, I love the way ISPs are offering or imposing these capped services
without providing any means to check what your usage is and therefore what
the best way to proceed is...

Mark.

Old May 13th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Wed, 12 May 2004 22:31:18 +0100, "Mark Ford"
wrote:

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Hi,

I am using the new Plusnet £14.99 per month broadband which is capped at

1GB
per month. How do I see how much data I have?

There is an option in the control panel for stats, but it looks like the
stats for dial-up and not broadband.

Yes, I love the way ISPs are offering or imposing these capped services
without providing any means to check what your usage is and therefore what
the best way to proceed is...

Mark.

which is why we are not putting any restrictions in place until the
"View My Bandwidth" tool has been properly rolled out to our userbase.

regards

Luke
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+
Old May 13th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ford

wrote:
Yes, I love the way ISPs are offering or imposing these capped services
without providing any means to check what your usage is and therefore

what
the best way to proceed is...

which is why we are not putting any restrictions in place until the
"View My Bandwidth" tool has been properly rolled out to our userbase.

regards

Luke

I would hope so to.

My comment wasn't aimed at Plusnet (being a totally unbiased customer of
yours myself), but more specifically at companies like ntl and Wanadoo.
--
Mark.

Old May 13th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:11:53 +0100, "Mark Ford"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
Yes, I love the way ISPs are offering or imposing these capped services
without providing any means to check what your usage is and therefore

what
the best way to proceed is...

which is why we are not putting any restrictions in place until the
"View My Bandwidth" tool has been properly rolled out to our userbase.

regards

Luke

I would hope so to.

My comment wasn't aimed at Plusnet (being a totally unbiased customer of
yours myself), but more specifically at companies like ntl and Wanadoo.

fair enough ;o)

Old May 13th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Mark Ford wrote:

: My comment wasn't aimed at Plusnet (being a totally unbiased customer of
: yours myself), but more specifically at companies like ntl and Wanadoo.

I don't see WHY exactly you are getting at Wanadoo who state VERY clearly
(unlike PlusNet!!!) that there will be *NO* limit enforcement until "sometime
later this year"!
Old May 14th 04, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ford

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message

I don't see WHY exactly you are getting at Wanadoo who state VERY clearly
(unlike PlusNet!!!) that there will be *NO* limit enforcement until

"sometime
later this year"!

Because my friend who is on Wanadoo broadband has recently received the
email which gives him the choice of staying where he is, uncapped, or moving
to one of the other services with varying prices and caps. He doesn't know
how to proceed as obviously he would like to take the opportunity to save
some money but doesn't now which limit he will fit within, and for some
reason is asking me which one he should go for - like I know what his usage
is! End result, he's staying on the current package. Fine by me...

Sure he could download DUMeter or an equivalent and monitor his usage for a
period but why should he. My point is Wanadoo are offering him a choice but
not providing him with the information to make an informed decision on it.
Surely they must have these sort of metrics on their users (otherwise how
will they enforce the limits later), so why don't they simply include an
indication of usage in the mailing such as his average/peak usage over the
previous days, weeks or months?

And yes, "sometime later this year" is a very clear statement...
--
Mark.

Old May 14th 04, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Sure he could download DUMeter or an equivalent and monitor his usage for
period but why should he. My point is Wanadoo are offering him a choice

but
not providing him with the information to make an informed decision on it.

Mark, don't take this the wrong way but your friends expectations are all
wrong. He is wanting spoon fed. It is a big bad world out there and we have
to find answers out for ourselves.

Wanadoo have provided him with varying prices and limits. If he wants to
know how much data he is going to use a month then download DUMeter and find
out. Why should Wanadoo provide this information?

Fair enough they should provide a meter once the system is up and running
and you can see whether you are coming to your limit or not but the onus
isn't on them to see what limit your friend falls into beforehand.

It's a bit like going into hire a car and saying "I'm going to be driving to
my friends along the road, over to my Aunt's, back and forward to work.,
maybe go to the football, over to my mates and then depending on what he
wants to do maybe go a few extra miles. So I want to know if this will be
under your 500 free miles before the 5p surcharge comes in to play".

The company would tell you to f*ck *ff or if you were lucky, tell you to
check the odometer. So tell your friend to get his finger out and download a
PC odometer namely DUMeter and stop expecting everyone else to do things for
him. God he has even got you running around after him ;o)

Steven.