BT Broadband Basic

Old May 12th 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default BT Broadband Basic

Hi,

I would like to "downgrade" from BT Broadband to BT Broadband Basic.
However, I noticed three strange facts about this service, according
the documentation available at BT's website:

1. You seem to have to purchase a 50 modem from BT. Since I already
have a Voyager 2000 wireless router/modem, this makes no sense for me.
Can I avoid this cost?

2. BT claims that the Basic service is not Macintosh compatible. Since
the computer communicates with the router via a standard Ethernet/WiFi
connection, I don't see how they could even know whether I am using a
Mac or a Windows machine, so thsi makes absolutely no sense to me. Of
course, if they don't provide me with technical support for the Mac,
they are free to do so but this is not what I infered from their
website.

3. BT claims that only one computer can access the Web at a time with
the Basic package. Again, this seems to make no sense, since it makes
no difference from the point of view of the connection whether the
modem creates a local network with one computer connected to it or
with several computers connected to it.

The only reason I can see which would enforce points 2 and 3 is if BT
cripples somehow the connection in such a way that they force you to
use their modem. Since this is a single-machine USB modem, it would
explain point 3. If it furthemore has no Macintosh driver, it explains
point 2 as well. however, this would strike me as an example of
exceptionally bad service. I already spent half an hour on the phone
with them this morning trying to clarify these points, but the level
of incompetence of the people answering the phone makes it impossible
to get any useful answer...

Martin
Old May 12th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Martin wrote:
Hi,

I would like to "downgrade" from BT Broadband to BT Broadband Basic.
However, I noticed three strange facts about this service, according
the documentation available at BT's website:

1. You seem to have to purchase a 50? modem from BT. Since I already
have a Voyager 2000 wireless router/modem, this makes no sense for me.
Can I avoid this cost?

I'd consider transferring to plusnet.
It's free, there are accounts from 14.99/month (512K 1G cap, with the
ability to buy more, or upgrade) to 21.99 (512K, no limits)
Lots, and lots of extras compared to BT.

I'd of course appreciate it if you were to enter 'mauve' in the
referrer box.