Tiscali for a friend

Old May 12th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Tiscali for a friend

When I came to set up my Pipex broadband it was a piece of cake.
Turned itself on with no human intervention. But that was with XP and
a Netgear modem/router.

A neighbour has Tiscali, Windows 98 and a Sagem modem. The
installation seems to be OK -- the modem wasn't visible at first. But
not a peep out of it.

Unfortunately, the phone wiring in the house is a rat's nest. Looks
like the broadband link is on a spur running off the main point into
the house.

There is no sign of any action on the ADSL light on the modem. Power
LED looks fine.

If there were a wiring issue, I'd expect some sign of action, but
connection problems.

Tried the pair of filters in various locations.

I am not convinced that the broadband service is enabled. Does this
seem likely?

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old May 12th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:11:42 +0100, chris wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:25:54 +0100 and in article
, said...
: I am not convinced that the broadband service is enabled. Does this
: seem likely?

I suppose the only way to be 100% certain is to ask your neighbours ISP.
Does the line show any indications of synching? It might just be that
the wiring is very very ****ed and thus the ADSL wont synch - if this is
the case you first need to confirm ADSL has been enabled on the line
with their ISP, then get BT out to re-wire the place correctly.

Thanks. That's in line with my thinking.

But wouldn't I even see a flashing green light if there was some sign
of life at the exchange?

I'm beginning to regret allowing the poor sod to sign up for Tiscali.

Old May 13th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote in message

When I came to set up my Pipex broadband it was a piece of cake.
Turned itself on with no human intervention. But that was with XP and
a Netgear modem/router.

A neighbour has Tiscali, Windows 98 and a Sagem modem. The
installation seems to be OK -- the modem wasn't visible at first. But
not a peep out of it.

Unfortunately, the phone wiring in the house is a rat's nest. Looks
like the broadband link is on a spur running off the main point into
the house.

There is no sign of any action on the ADSL light on the modem. Power
LED looks fine.

If there were a wiring issue, I'd expect some sign of action, but
connection problems.

Tried the pair of filters in various locations.

I am not convinced that the broadband service is enabled. Does this
seem likely?

Can you try the computer/modem at the master socket and/or try your modem on
his line to see if there is a ADSL signal..

Regards
Sunil

Old May 13th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:10:26 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks. Will do.

As I also hinted, I am not convinced that the installation went as
smoothly as it might. But I did not have time to mess around. I may
try a "remove and reinstall" to see if that helps.

I do wish people wouldn't persist with operating systems that were
written before USB and ADSL became widespread. Bit like adding a jet
engine to a Sopwith Camel.