Wireless Routers for AOL

Old May 12th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Netman ®

Default Wireless Routers for AOL

I've been asked about the by a friend. He uses AOL Broadband and wants an
integrated ADSL modem/router/wireless access point.

I was under the impression this couldn't be done with AOL? But is it in fact
possible? Am I limited to only some makes or will any combined box do the
job?

Thanks for any help.
Steve
[email: watch the SPAMTRAP]

Old May 12th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:05:25 +0100, Netman ® wrote:

I've been asked about the by a friend. He uses AOL Broadband and wants an
integrated ADSL modem/router/wireless access point.

I was under the impression this couldn't be done with AOL? But is it in fact
possible? Am I limited to only some makes or will any combined box do the
job?

Shouldn't be a problem really .. AOL ADSL Broadband is just like other
broadband services.. the only problem that I've encountered when setting
up for my friend was that I need to set the router's MTU to 1400.
Old May 12th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Netman ®

"Wira One" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:05:25 +0100, Netman ® wrote:

I've been asked about the by a friend. He uses AOL Broadband and wants

an
integrated ADSL modem/router/wireless access point.

I was under the impression this couldn't be done with AOL? But is it in

fact
possible? Am I limited to only some makes or will any combined box do

the
job?

Shouldn't be a problem really .. AOL ADSL Broadband is just like other
broadband services.. the only problem that I've encountered when setting
up for my friend was that I need to set the router's MTU to 1400.

OK, excellent. Thanks for the response. Just thought they might do things
differently, they seem to like being difficult! :-|

Cheers
Steve

Old May 12th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Netman ®

"Kris" wrote in message
Netman ® writes:
I've been asked about the by a friend. He uses AOL Broadband and wants

an
integrated ADSL modem/router/wireless access point.

I was under the impression this couldn't be done with AOL? But is it in

fact
possible? Am I limited to only some makes or will any combined box do

the
job?

The "best" for home users? Draytek 2600we or 2600g.

2600g £177 inc. delivery

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...opGro upID=38

I got one a week ago. It's nice.

Thanks - I did look at the Draytek ones for myself a while and they do look
good. That's a little pricy in this case though. Was looking at a budget of
around £125.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Steve

Old May 13th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Garf

"Netman ®" wrote in message
"Wira One" wrote in message
news
[...]

Wira one is bang on right, almost any router /accesss oint will be fine as
long as you set MTU to 1400, just set this up for 3 pc's at my father in
law's place and it works fine with the 1400 MTU setting, one bonus is that
you can then dump the AOL software if you want.

Garf

Old May 14th 04, 02:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Netman ®

Garf wrote:
"Netman ®" wrote in message
"Wira One" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for the info. Which router did you use?

Steve
--
[email: remove the SPAMTRAP]

Old May 14th 04, 03:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

one bonus is that you can then dump the AOL software if you want.

But then why pay AOL's sky high price without the "wonderful" software ?
Regards,
Martin