Internet hangs after unpredictable intervals

Old May 12th 04, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default Internet hangs after unpredictable intervals

...the only way to get back online is to reboot the computer.
I'm running Win ME, with a Sagem Fast 800 modem. There is quiet a
long extension lead from the phone socket to here upstairs.
Is this a common problem and does anyone know how I can get rid of it?

This is a common problem with Speedtouch 330 modems, and is often related
to a VIA chipset on the motherboard (i`ve also had problems with a SiS
chipset), although I think this is the first time i`ve heard of someone
with this problem on a Sagem.

It may be related to the amount of current being drawn from your USB
ports, and it might be worth experimenting for now to see if anything
helps...

Disconnect all other USB devices you can (printers / cameras / webcams /
external storage etc) and see if the connection becomes stable. If it
does, then the problem is probably power related, and a powered USB hub
may be the solution (most cheap ones are "self powered" and do not have a
seperate power supply)

There`s a chance the modem itself could be faulty - can you beg/borrow
another machine to see if the same happens ? (or perhaps borrow an ADSL
modem overnight to see if another model works ok for you)

Last but not least, ditch the USB modem, buy a router / modem combo, and
kiss goodbye to all the hassle. I bought a cheap one from ebuyer (cost me
40 for a 4 port router) and its been worth every penny !

Try googling this group for reports on the Origo 8400 from ebuyer - most
people seem happy with them, and it won`t cost you a fortune, quick find
code 48449 / model = ASR-8400