exchange capacity data

Old May 12th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

Default exchange capacity data

Sam Crawford's site (www.samknows.com) gives some quite interesting data
for enabled exchanges, including the 'number of lines' and a new section
('exchange capacity') listing state of the hardware (eg number of
DSLAMs).

As the first of the exchanges that were given triggers back in November
get enabled, it's interesting to see that
preregistration-trigger =0.25 x lines (as suggested by Sunil Sood) is
about right.
But
1) is the number of lines listed the total number on the exchange, or
only the number within 6km??
2) The number of DSLAMs installed seems to vary wildly - eg Cambridge
(Glos), with only 750 lines total, and not enabled until February this
year, has 3 installed already. Whereas Chipping Sodbury nearby with
15,000 lines has only 2...
And somewhere I read it used to be one DSLAM per ISP, which can't now be
right... (can it?)
Anyone explain??
--
robert w hall
Old May 13th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

robert w hall wrote:
[...]

Would also like some clarification.

Our exchange has the following stats:

Approx phone lines: 3,573
Enable Date (RFS): 03 December 2003
Capacity Status: Red
DSLAM's installed: 2
Bandwidth availability: Medium
End-user signup rate: Low
Next DSLAM due: 20/07/2004
Old May 13th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Black Shuck wrote:

robert w hall wrote:

[...]

Specifically, I would like that know what our Capacity Status being RED
means (I assume read means danger...), yet Bandwidth is medium... Could
not find any description of this data on the samknows site... Does
anyone know?
Old May 13th 04, 06:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

robert w hall wrote:

Sam Crawford's site (www.samknows.com) gives some quite interesting data
for enabled exchanges, including the 'number of lines' and a new section
('exchange capacity') listing state of the hardware (eg number of
DSLAMs).

Treat the data with care.

Sam and I have worked togather, and as a result, the data on Sam's site
is the same as Bug (he uses Bug's script to extract the data).

The data is currently being reviewed.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old May 13th 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Andy M Jenkins wrote:
robert w hall wrote:

Sam Crawford's site (www.samknows.com) gives some quite interesting data
for enabled exchanges, including the 'number of lines' and a new section
('exchange capacity') listing state of the hardware (eg number of
DSLAMs).

Treat the data with care.

Sam and I have worked togather, and as a result, the data on Sam's site
is the same as Bug (he uses Bug's script to extract the data).

The data is currently being reviewed.

Very interesting nonetheless.
Where is the data sourced?

Old May 13th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Ian Stirling wrote:

Treat the data with care.

Sam and I have worked togather, and as a result, the data on Sam's site
is the same as Bug (he uses Bug's script to extract the data).

The data is currently being reviewed.

Very interesting nonetheless.
Where is the data sourced?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you

If you look at the advanced stats on the applet (I dont like the word
popup ) that opens as a result of clicking on the link, you'll see two
thanks. Sam and NDO.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins