Managed Home Highway to ADSL Conversion [Long post]

Old May 13th 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Managed Home Highway to ADSL Conversion [Long post]

I have recently upgraded from Home Highway (using Freeserve Anytime) to
PlusNet ADSL (Easy Start) and thought that my experiences may be of interest
to others contemplating something similar. I shall post separately about the
PlusNet process - this post is mainly about the BT bit. I went with PlusNet
because they have a good reputation within this NG and because they offer a
managed conversion, while Freeserve don't. With a managed conversion, Home
Highway gets automatically re-installed if the line doesn't pass the ADSL
line-test.

Once I had signed up with PlusNet, they gave an order to BT to do the
conversion, and fixed a mutually convenient date.

Meanwhile, I had planned my end of the deal in some detail - including the
intention to use a filtered faceplate on the master socket rather than a
proliferation of microfilters. However, I didn't buy this until *after* the
conversion for 2 reasons:

a) I wasn't sure my line would pass the test

b) I would want a different version depending on where the master socket
ended up

[i.e. either a simple one with phone and ADSL sockets just on the front, or
a modified one with connections for hardwiring an ADSL extension into the
back].

By way of background, prior to having HH installed two and a half years ago,
the master socket was in the downstairs hallway, with my phone extensions
wired into the back of the NTE5 faceplate. When HH was installed, the master
socket was replaced by a dummy master/junction box, and the HH box was
installed in my upstairs office, joined to the dummy master by a 3-pair
cable which I routed inside hollow walls and under floorboards etc. [I has
laid in some pull-wires prior to the arrival of the BT engineer, in order to
make this possible]. In doing the HH to ADSL conversion, I wasn't sure
whether the new master socket would end up in the hallway - where the
original one had been - or whether it would be possible (my preference) to
install it upstairs in place of the HH box. If it were downstairs, I would
need an ADSL extension (hopefully using one of the pairs in the existing
3-pair cable) and would want to wire it into the back of the faceplate -
hence needing a modified faceplate. If it were upstairs, my ADSL modem would
plug straight into it without needing an extension.

The appointed day for the conversion arrived, and the BT engineer turned up,
more or less as scheduled - but he did phone to warn me that he would be a
couple of hours late. The first thing he did was to remove the faceplate
from the dummy master in the hall and run the linetest on the incoming pair
with nothing else connected. Pretty smart this, because if it failed, it
could all be put back together with little ado since the HH kit (at my end
anyway) hadn't yet been removed.

By way of an aside, the BT engineer was accompanied by a young lady whom I
initially assumed to be a trainee engineer - but who turned out to be a
senior HR manager, spending a day with an engineer in order to experience
life at the sharp end!

Fortunately, the line passed the test. The BT engineer was quite happy to
put the new master socket in either location - so I opted for upstairs. He
put an extension socket in place of the dummy master, with my existing
extensions and a link to the new master wired into the back of it. He used
the remaining pair of the HH 3-pair cable to carry the incoming line to the
new master.

The new master which he fitted was, of course, a standard NTE5 with
removeable faceplate. [He apparently also had some filtered faceplates in
his van, but fitting one for me wasn't part of the deal. I got the
impression that he might ordinarily have been pursuaded otherwise, but it
didn't seem like a good idea to ask him in the presence of a senior
manager!] In the event, I was able to get a filtered faceplate from Solwise
within a couple of days for about 14 quid including postage and VAT.

Before he left, he demonstrated - using his laptop computer - that ADSL
worked from the new upstairs master - and waited while software changes were
made at the exchange to restore the dial tone to the voice circuit. In all,
he was on-site for about a couple of hours - and the phone line was down for
about two and a half hours - because he had moved it from the ISDN to ADSL
rack in the exchange before travelling to my house.

Despite what people say about BT, I was very happy with their performance on
that occasion. I was glad that I had planned the whole thing, and so was
able to end up with an installation wihich suited my exact purposes. I'm not
sure what the default would have been had I left the engineer to his own
devices. BTW, despite what everyone says about plying BT engineers with
copious quantities of coffee and biscuits, mine declined all such offers!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 13th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Hi Tim
This is the same experience that I and my customers have had. The
Engineers are helpful and will endeavour to do a neat job.
Most times thay will fit the faceplate but as you say when accomanied they
go by the book and who wouldnt.

As to plying them with tea and coffee it is one of the great urban myths.

Ian
www.cyber-cottage.co.uk