ADSL Connections

Old May 13th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Sutcliffe

Default ADSL Connections

I am thinking of getting broadband.
When I put in my phone number it claims I am too far from the exchange.
In fact I know that there are 3 exchanges within 1m of my house and friends
nearby have no trouble.
I am in Ipswich.
Talking to other provider they say they have to go through BT.
When I speak to BT they say they have to go through another part of BT that
only they can talk to but they can give no help as to why my line won't
work.
Can anyone out there suggest how I sort this out
Thanks
Peter

Old May 13th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Peter Sutcliffe" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I am thinking of getting broadband.
When I put in my phone number it claims I am too far from the exchange.
In fact I know that there are 3 exchanges within 1m of my house and

friends
nearby have no trouble.
I am in Ipswich.
Talking to other provider they say they have to go through BT.
When I speak to BT they say they have to go through another part of BT

that
only they can talk to but they can give no help as to why my line won't
work.
Can anyone out there suggest how I sort this out
Thanks
Peter

Choose someone other than BT and ask them to do a manual test on the line.
I think nildram do it.

Old May 13th 04, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Start here

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Check back here if all is not clear.

Old May 14th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Peter Sutcliffe" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I am thinking of getting broadband.
When I put in my phone number it claims I am too far from the exchange.
In fact I know that there are 3 exchanges within 1m of my house and

friends
nearby have no trouble.
I am in Ipswich.
Talking to other provider they say they have to go through BT.
When I speak to BT they say they have to go through another part of BT

that
only they can talk to but they can give no help as to why my line won't
work.
Can anyone out there suggest how I sort this out
Thanks
Peter

they let you out already then? g

Old May 14th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Peter Sutcliffe" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I am thinking of getting broadband.
When I put in my phone number it claims I am too far from the exchange.
In fact I know that there are 3 exchanges within 1m of my house and

friends
nearby have no trouble.
I am in Ipswich.
Talking to other provider they say they have to go through BT.
When I speak to BT they say they have to go through another part of BT

that
only they can talk to but they can give no help as to why my line won't
work.
Can anyone out there suggest how I sort this out
Thanks
Peter

Could be the exchange at broadmoor prison is overloaded? Can't belive they
let you guys have broadband in your cells

Old May 14th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"Peter Sutcliffe" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I am thinking of getting broadband.
When I put in my phone number it claims I am too far from the exchange.
In fact I know that there are 3 exchanges within 1m of my house and

friends
nearby have no trouble.
I am in Ipswich.
Talking to other provider they say they have to go through BT.
When I speak to BT they say they have to go through another part of BT

that
only they can talk to but they can give no help as to why my line won't
work.
Can anyone out there suggest how I sort this out
Thanks
Peter

3 Exchanges within 1m, hmmmmmmmmm

You must remember that you are not neccesarily fed from the nearest exchange
& there's is little likelyhood that you can be fed from it either...

BT's network has grown (more like been thrown together) organically not
logically & unfortunately this can adversely affect people such as yourself.

You could try getting a manual test on your line but even here it may not
make any difference...