2GB Capping and XBOX Live

Old May 14th 04, 05:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
luigi

Default 2GB Capping and XBOX Live

Hi

I am about to switch to broadband and wish to use my connection for XBOX and
PS2 gaming.

Can anyone give me some idea of how much data transfer is involved in
playing a typical console game
over, say a couple of hours (e.g. SOCOM, Project Gotham, Midnight Club 2).

The situation I am trying to avoid here is subscribing to a package (most of
which are 2GB capped) and then finding out that playing for more than 50
hours per month causes the data limits to be exceeded.

Thanks.

Luigi.

Old May 14th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am about to switch to broadband and wish to use my connection for XBOX and
PS2 gaming.
Can anyone give me some idea of how much data transfer is involved in
playing a typical console game

I`m not sure how an xbox or ps2 connects, but if you could go via a
router, most of them will give you an idea of the amount of data shifted

Old May 15th 04, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Eden

luigi wrote:
Can anyone give me some idea of how much data transfer is involved in
playing a typical console game
over, say a couple of hours (e.g. SOCOM, Project Gotham, Midnight
Club 2).

The situation I am trying to avoid here is subscribing to a package
(most of which are 2GB capped) and then finding out that playing for
more than 50 hours per month causes the data limits to be exceeded.

Well, you could try to work it out. On 512Kbps ADSL, the max data transfer
you could get downstream per hour is
~225 MB (512Kbps * 60sec * 60min / 8 (bits in a byte) / 1024 (KB in a MB)
and upstream
~112 MB

Total transfer of 337 MB

So, if your XBOX was going full tilt, you'd use up your data allowance in ~
6 hours.

Of course, your XBOX probably doesn't go anything like that, but you might
want to check out on an online gaming forum just what data transfer you can
expect.

Terry

small disclaimer - speaking for myself, not my employer.