Samknows website

Old May 14th 04, 06:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

Default Samknows website

I came across the excellent Samknows website yesterday (www.samknows.com).
It says that our exchange has "very high" bandwidth availability and
"minimal" end-user sign-up rate. What do these statements mean and are they
quantifiable?

TIA

Nick

Old May 14th 04, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Nick Shaw wrote:
I came across the excellent Samknows website yesterday (www.samknows.com).
It says that our exchange has "very high" bandwidth availability and
"minimal" end-user sign-up rate. What do these statements mean and are they
quantifiable?

Hi Nick,

Only just discovered samknows eh? One of the best sites for exchange
stats around I feel, if not for more. Make sure you bookmark it eh?

Anyway, I digress. UK-Bug.net has the same info (infact Sam uses a
script from uk-bug.net to get the info in the first place).

Basically the amount of bandwidth available is determined by the number
of subcribers against the number of DSLAMs (big hunking boxes that are
used to help transfer all the data to and fro). Officially, there
should be 4 categories (although Sam has seen fit to alter this a little).

0 = minimal
1 = low
2 = medium
3 = high
4 = very high

The signup rate is fairly self explanetory, and also has the same scale
as written above. It simply represents, or tries to, in words, the
amount of new ADSL subscribers at the exchange.

With a very high bandwidth availability score, and a minimal EU signup
rate, you have nothing to worry about. If these were revered (minimal
bandwidth availability and very high EU signup rate) you need to start
worrying.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old May 14th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
Nick Shaw wrote:
[...]

Andy

Thanks for that. Its somewhat clearer now.

I am currently on a 2Mbps 20:1 connection. Do these figures imply that, if I
were to change to a 50:1 contention ratio, I should not see any
deterioration in my connection?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Nick

Old May 15th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Nick Shaw wrote:

I am currently on a 2Mbps 20:1 connection. Do these figures imply that, if I
were to change to a 50:1 contention ratio, I should not see any
deterioration in my connection?

Hi Nick .. sorry for the delay, only just got home from work

Theoretically a 50:1 contented service should operate pretty much as
near as dammit at the advertised speed. The contention is advertised as
"upto" 20:1 (or 50:1), meaning that at times it will be 1:1 thru 20:1
(50:1).

As theres not many subscribers on your exchange, I would say the above
would hold true ... but I'll query it with the relevant bods and try and
report back here soon.