A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

BT cuts broadand prices by 70%



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 14th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
half_pint
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%

So I will bet BT broadband for 6 a month?

Will I ****..

Can anyone tell me what effect that piece of BT
propaganda will have on real broadband prices.

Basically what will be the minimum I can get a proper
bog-standard broadband connection, for and how much
of a discount that will be on the current prices.

All how much lower is that percentage than the 70%
trumpeted by BT?


  #2  
Old May 14th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%

"half_pint" wrote in message:

So I will bet BT broadband for 6 a month?


It's has NOT cut the price of broadband by 70%. It has cut the connection
costs which are passed on to other suppliers. A lot of broadband suppliers
like Plusnet charge 58.75 to connect which is the price BT charge them. I
believe it is this price that is set to drop and not the overall price of
broadband. Although with prices now at 14.99 for full speed broadband I
think the prices are not too bad when you consider AOL still charge 15.99
for bog standard dial-up.


  #3  
Old May 14th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 23
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%

Gareth :-) voom wrote:
It's has NOT cut the price of broadband by 70%. It has cut the connection
costs which are passed on to other suppliers. A lot of broadband suppliers
like Plusnet charge 58.75 to connect which is the price BT charge them. I
believe it is this price that is set to drop and not the overall price of
broadband. Although with prices now at 14.99 for full speed broadband I
think the prices are not too bad when you consider AOL still charge 15.99
for bog standard dial-up.


No. They charge 15.99 for a dial-up AOL account. This includes exclusive
content and no restrictions, remember? Not to mention user-friendly
firewall and virus scanning and parental controls..

--
Now Playing: Queen - I Want to Break Free [180kbps mp3]
  #4  
Old May 14th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:09:07 UTC, nsj wrote:

No. They charge 15.99 for a dial-up AOL account. This includes exclusive
content and no restrictions, remember? Not to mention user-friendly
firewall and virus scanning and parental controls..


I hope you were being ironic.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
  #5  
Old May 14th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:30:30 +0100, "half_pint"
wrote:

Will I ****..


You really need to read the report he-
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/13/bt_ofcom_llu/

Pay attention to paragraph two - that's the second block of text which
starts "Today BT...."

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
  #6  
Old May 14th 04, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,590
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%


"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
...
It's has NOT cut the price of broadband by 70%. It has cut the connection
costs which are passed on to other suppliers. A lot of broadband suppliers
like Plusnet charge 58.75 to connect which is the price BT charge them. I
believe it is this price that is set to drop and not the overall price of
broadband.


The 50 + VAT connection charge has not changed for ISPs either.

BT made several different announcements yesterday... these include:

1) ISP's using Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) will see overall price cuts of
"up to 70%" by the end of the year.

LLU is relatively rare atm - the 3 largest ISP's that this affects are
Bulldog in 35 exchanges, Homehoice in about 80 exchanges and Easynet in 135
exchanges.

Also, more ISP's may be tempted to go down the LLU route or expand their
current coverage - HomeChoice already have plans to double their LLU network
in London.

2) The margin between IPStream and DataStream prices is increasing my a
1/month - meaning more ISP's will probably be using DataStream in future
and one or two of the existing ones may be cutting prices.

3) There were other announcements that may lead to cheaper IPStream products

There may also be cheaper voice calls from competitors in future but thats
OT for this group.

Regards
Sunil


  #7  
Old May 15th 04, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 23
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%

Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:09:07 UTC, nsj wrote:


No. They charge 15.99 for a dial-up AOL account. This includes exclusive
content and no restrictions, remember? Not to mention user-friendly
firewall and virus scanning and parental controls..


I hope you were being ironic.


Why?

Oh, hang on. Your signature explained your mindset.

--
Now Playing: No Doubt - It's My Life [210kbps mp3]
  #8  
Old May 15th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default BT cuts broadand prices by 70%

On Fri, 14 May 2004 23:05:53 UTC, nsj wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:09:07 UTC, nsj wrote:


No. They charge 15.99 for a dial-up AOL account. This includes exclusive
content and no restrictions, remember? Not to mention user-friendly
firewall and virus scanning and parental controls..


I hope you were being ironic.


Why?


Oh dear. You weren't. Never mind.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blueyonder Broadband Prices Deag uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 May 13th 04 08:24 PM
BT are removing my DACS - can the engineer perform broadand line test prior to exchange upgrade banzai uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 April 29th 04 07:45 PM
lifting phone receiver cuts broadband connection A.Black uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 22 April 27th 04 01:35 AM
Easynet Prices mark uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 January 30th 04 01:39 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.