ISDN instead of broadband?

Old May 14th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Burley

Default ISDN instead of broadband?

My wife's parents are served by the Eversely (Wokingham) BT exchange and,
naturally, I'd like them to be connected to a broadband connection of some
description. However, that exchange is not ADSL ready according to my info
and although there are cable TV covers in the pavement outside their house,
enquiries in that direction has resulted in a dead-end regarding cable modem
service-wise as well.

They currently use a 56K dial up modem but the usual connection speed they
get is just 26Kbps. I was therefore wondering if ISDN of some sort might
help? I'm a bit out of date as I understand that there have been some
changes to what was BT Home Highway and then there is so-called mid-band -
which again I understand is ISDN-based.

Fundamentally, can my wife's parents be helped in any way to improve their
surfing speed?

Ian

Old May 14th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:51:23 +0100, "Ian Burley"
wrote:

Fundamentally, can my wife's parents be helped in any way to improve their
surfing speed?

ISDN (Home Highway) would almost certainly improve their Internet
experience. But price the project carefully, you will need an ISDN
card or router in place of the modem.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old May 14th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Burley

I have redundant ISDN modems since I upgraded to ADSL at the office, so
that's not a problem. I did have a look at the BT site but ISDN seems to be
a banned acronym!

Ian

Old May 14th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Burley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
My wife's parents are served by the Eversely (Wokingham) BT exchange and,
naturally, I'd like them to be connected to a broadband connection of some
description. However, that exchange is not ADSL ready according to my info

Are you sure?

I believe Eversley was ADSL enabled by BT on the 31st May 2002.

Try inputing their phone number on the checker at
http://www.bt.com/broadband/

They currently use a 56K dial up modem but the usual connection speed they
get is just 26Kbps. I was therefore wondering if ISDN of some sort might
help? I'm a bit out of date as I understand that there have been some
changes to what was BT Home Highway and then there is so-called mid-band -
which again I understand is ISDN-based.

Have a look at:

http://www.bt.com/homehighway/
http://www.bt.com/btmidband/

Regards
Sunil

Old May 14th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Ian Burley wrote:
I have redundant ISDN modems since I upgraded to ADSL at the office, so
that's not a problem. I did have a look at the BT site but ISDN seems to be
a banned acronym!

search on homehighway.
Old May 14th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Burley

My mistake - the distance to the exchange is too far.

Just realised, that might be a problem for ISDN as well

Ian

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

news:[email protected]

Old May 14th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

"Ian Burley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
They currently use a 56K dial up modem but the usual connection speed

they
get is just 26Kbps. I was therefore wondering if ISDN of some sort

might
help? I'm a bit out of date as I understand that there have been some
changes to what was BT Home Highway and then there is so-called

mid-band -
which again I understand is ISDN-based.

Fundamentally, can my wife's parents be helped in any way to improve

their
surfing speed?

The dialup speed they are getting could be caused by a few things: line
quality, modem drivers, powered devices on the line, (fax, cordless
phones etc) or a BT DACS line. I had read the problems with DACS lines
and the internet had been resolved but it might be worth asking BT if it
is a DACS line and if so could it be changed to a proper line. Many
people have been successful in getting a DACS removed but it depends what
mood BT are in, and whether a proper line is available of course.

Of course ISDN or Broadband would be a nicer option. :-)

Old May 14th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Burley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
My mistake - the distance to the exchange is too far.

What that really means is tha their line quality is to poor to support
ADSL - according to the current line test limits..

However, if they have not yet applied for ADSL - its worth them trying
anyway.. the ADSL checkers are known for being conservative and a line test
is not actually carried out until you order. (perhaps ask the ISP for a
"manual test")

If they don't qualify for ADSL at the moment, they may well from later this
year (probably September) - following a BT trial in Milton Keynes, where
they are reviewing the current ADSL line limits

See http://tinyurl.com/3brp3 for details.

Just realised, that might be a problem for ISDN as well

ISDN works at a different frequency to ADSL - so its quite possible to get
ISDN even if ADSL is not available.

However, note that ISDN/HomeHighway has a 12 month contract, which may not
be ideal if they can get ADSL following the above trial in a few months.

The 2 url's I mentioned in my previous post provide details of BT's ISDN
services - just ask here on in uk.telecom if you have any more ISDN
questions.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 14th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

If they don't qualify for ADSL at the moment, they may well from later

this
year (probably September) - following a BT trial in Milton Keynes, where
they are reviewing the current ADSL line limits

See http://tinyurl.com/3brp3 for details.

Sorry, I meant to link to http://tinyurl.com/295w9

So many BT press releases...!

Regards
Sunil

Old May 14th 04, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Burley

Interesting - but what is a DACS line?

Ian

"George" wrote in message