dacs removed - not much improvement in dialup speed - line gain/line card

Old May 14th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
banzai

Default dacs removed - not much improvement in dialup speed - line gain/line card

evening all, bt removed my dacs a week or so ago (i was previously
connecting at ~24kbps). i now get about 33kbps but not much more. The device
has definitely been removed and things are slightly better but can they be
improved with any other config/requests from BT (i've read stuff about
changing line gain from auto to 7 -bt can do this apparently as well as
changing a line card ?) - any advice ? We're 5km from the exchange (which
hasn't been upgraded yet) so maybe it's something to do with line length ?

Old May 15th 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Dave

"banzai" wrote in message
evening all, bt removed my dacs a week or so ago (i was previously
connecting at ~24kbps). i now get about 33kbps but not much more. The

device
has definitely been removed and things are slightly better but can they be
improved with any other config/requests from BT (i've read stuff about
changing line gain from auto to 7 -bt can do this apparently as well as
changing a line card ?) - any advice ? We're 5km from the exchange (which
hasn't been upgraded yet) so maybe it's something to do with line length ?

have you got the latest firmware for your modem?

Old May 15th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Duncan Newell

"Dave" wrote in message

"banzai" wrote in message
evening all, bt removed my dacs a week or so ago (i was previously
connecting at ~24kbps). i now get about 33kbps but not much more. The

device
has definitely been removed and things are slightly better but can they

be
improved with any other config/requests from BT (i've read stuff about
changing line gain from auto to 7 -bt can do this apparently as well as
changing a line card ?) - any advice ? We're 5km from the exchange

(which
hasn't been upgraded yet) so maybe it's something to do with line length

?

have you got the latest firmware for your modem?

Try a different modem, loan one from a friend or something if you can to
test that first

Old May 15th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ace Internet

evening all, bt removed my dacs a week or so ago (i was
previously
connecting at ~24kbps). i now get about 33kbps but not much

more.

Are you sure you are using the correct drivers for the modem?
Sometimes the OS can install "generic" drivers which will only
allow a 56k modem to connect at 33.6k max.

Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:

Old May 16th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ace Internet

i'm using the same laptop& internal modem that will connect at
46-49kbps at
other properties...

Then it looks definately like your line/connection problem.

I had to rule out the probable first ;-)

If you pick up your receiver and press 1 is the line very quiet?

Old May 16th 04, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
David Bradley

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:56:04 GMT, "banzai" wrote:

evening all, bt removed my dacs a week or so ago (i was previously
connecting at ~24kbps). i now get about 33kbps but not much more. The device
has definitely been removed and things are slightly better but can they be
improved with any other config/requests from BT (i've read stuff about
changing line gain from auto to 7 -bt can do this apparently as well as
changing a line card ?) - any advice ? We're 5km from the exchange (which
hasn't been upgraded yet) so maybe it's something to do with line length ?

Just by chance I have received an automated message from Freeserve
while enquiring about another matter. I have extracted from tis
message some information that you might find helpful.

**) Do you have lots of equipment sharing the same phone line?

Believe it or not, an old or faulty phone plugged into your telephone
line can half your connection speed! Dodgy circuitry can put excess
capacitance on your phone line causing connection problems. There's
also a limit to how much equipment that one phone line can
handle, known in the industry as the 'Ringer Equivalence Number' (or
REN). If you exceed the REN you could experience problems such as
phones ringing when you connect to the Internet, or your modem may not
be able to get through at all because the other devices are causing
interference on the line.

The following can all cause connection problems:

An old, or faulty telephone
A phone or unit with a caller line display facility
More than 4 phones connected on the same line
A Sky digital box,
A burglar alarm connected to the telephone line
An answer machine
A fax machine or a router box providing discounted phone calls.

Try unplugging all devises connected to your phone line and see if
your
connection is improved. If this makes a difference, plug each devise
back into the line, one by one, until you notice a significant
difference in your connection.

We recommend that if you have an alarm, you contact the Vendor for
assistance.

**) Are you using an extension and if so, is it high quality?

The length and quality of the cable between your PC's modem and the
phone wall socket will affect the quality of your connection. It is
important not to use too long a cable and to check your cable for
damage and ensure it is not twisted. It is also important not to add
additional adaptors or splitters to your phone wall socket, or use an
extension as this too can reduce connection quality. You should also
ensure that the phone line has not become entangled with electrical
wires, for example, your computer's electricity supply!

David Bradley

Old May 16th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ace Internet

slightly noisy (if that's quantifiable), yes - what does this
mean ?

Sounds like a noisy line ;-)

Seriously - get BT to check it out, don't mention the dialup
problem - they will just fob you off. Tell them it is causing
problems when you ring people. They should run a test to see if
there is a problem between you and the exchange.

Any noise of the line can cause slower connection speeds -
especially when connecting over 33.6k.