Networking

Old May 15th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RDS

Default Networking

Hi,
my compters are connected by a LAN, the one that currently connects (dial
up)has zonealarm on it. The connection is not shared.
I want to move to broadband and have up to 4 computers connected.

So:

Am i better off getting a 4 port modem, which i presume i will then plug in
to all my NIC's, i assume i will no longer need my network hub? Will i still
be able to file share?

Or connect one PC to the modem, then share the internet connection via the
network.

Any help appreciated,
Rick

Old May 15th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RDS

"RDS" wrote in message
Hi,
my compters are connected by a LAN, the one that currently connects (dial
up)has zonealarm on it. The connection is not shared.
I want to move to broadband and have up to 4 computers connected.

Ive found some useful info here, if anyone else is interested.
http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband...on_sharing.php

I think it answers my question anyone care to add anything?

Cheers

Old May 15th 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

RDS wrote:

"RDS" wrote in message
Hi,
my compters are connected by a LAN, the one that currently connects
(dial up)has zonealarm on it. The connection is not shared.
I want to move to broadband and have up to 4 computers connected.

Ive found some useful info here, if anyone else is interested.
http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband...on_sharing.php

I think it answers my question anyone care to add anything?

Cheers

There are lots of ways of doing it - as shown in the reference you quote.

It's well worth while using an ADSL Router since this makes the connection
independent of individual PCs. In other words, you don't need to keep a
particular PC switched on to enable the other PCs to access the internet.
Also, most routers have reasonable built-in firewall capabilities - but (in
my opinion - others may disagree!) you should still run ZoneAlarm on each
connected PC to protect against "trojans".

Make sure you get a router with a built-in ADSL modem. If you use a separate
modem, it *must* have an ethernet output to connect to the router. [Many
modems have only a USB output, and are only suitable for direct connection
to a PC.]

You have a choice between a single port or multi-port router. With a single
port device, you'll need to keep your existing hub, and connect the router
to a spare port on it. With a multi-port device, your PCs will connect
directly to the router without needing a separate hub. [You could even go
wireless, if you want to surf with a laptop in the garden!]

Either way, you'll be able to continue to share files and printers across
your domestic network.

I don't know what addressing system you currectly use on your network. Do
your PC's have fixed IP addresses, or does one PC act as a DHCP server and
allocate IP addresses on demand? Either system will work with a router -
most of which are able to operate as DHCP servers.
--
Cheers,
Tim