New plusnet beta newsserver looking promising.

Old May 15th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default New plusnet beta newsserver looking promising.

In recent weeks I've posted saying that plusnet are upgrading their
news servers.
It went live a bit ago, and has recently (the 12th) started to hit it's
stride, though stumbling a bit yesterday.

In terms of binary completeness, on a DVD and VCD group, a couple of
times in the past few days (when things have been working) the
binary completion has exceeded by several percent that of
news.usenetserver.com, and only been a fraction of a percent
behind news.giganews.com.

Tests over around 15000 headers, in a DVD and VCD group, over one day.

I added the DVD group, after the VCD group showed 100% completion once

Not yet replacing the existing server, but it is getting around 2.5 to
3 times more articles.
Old May 15th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Ian Stirling wrote:

In recent weeks I've posted saying that plusnet are upgrading their
news servers.
It went live a bit ago, and has recently (the 12th) started to hit it's
stride, though stumbling a bit yesterday.

In terms of binary completeness, on a DVD and VCD group, a couple of
times in the past few days (when things have been working) the
binary completion has exceeded by several percent that of
news.usenetserver.com, and only been a fraction of a percent
behind news.giganews.com.

Tests over around 15000 headers, in a DVD and VCD group, over one day.

I added the DVD group, after the VCD group showed 100% completion once

Not yet replacing the existing server, but it is getting around 2.5 to
3 times more articles.

Is news.plus.net the new server or the old one? I tried using
beta.news.plus.net last week, and it had problems letting me post....
Do I have to change anything to use the new server?
Old May 15th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Black Shuck wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

You shouldn't.
It's broken in various ways, that tend to get fixed as they get noticed.
That's why it's a beta.
beta.usenet.plus.net is I think the name you'r supposed to use.
Old May 16th 04, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:51:55 +0100, Black Shuck
wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

Hi,

beta.usenet.plus.net is the address to use. Make sure you don't select the
authentication option in your news client as it doesn't need a username
and password to connect to it.

--
Regards,