Problem accessing domain with Tiscali broadband???

Old May 16th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony P

Default Problem accessing domain with Tiscali broadband???

Up until yesterday I have been able to access the URL below, but suddenly it
appears that I have a problem gettiung to this URL. I have asked friends
and colleagues to try from their ISP, and they can access the site, but from
my connection with Tiscali, I can''t access it. Can anyone suggest why I am
unable to access this site anymore when other people using other ISPs can
still get this URL no problem...?

http://www.ixtc.co.uk/webmail/

If anyone else using Tiscali can access this page, please let me know..
Thanks

I have even gone to the trouble of restoring my backup that is clean, and
problem free, because I thought the problem was a fault in the operating
system here, but still the problem persists. Im using a netgear DG834G to
access the internet. I can access every URL I have tried, except the one
above, which I need to access again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony

Old May 16th 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"Tony P" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried pinging it. It sounds like a DNS problem. Type pinging
213.239.42.36 (the hosting company's IP address). If you cannot ping the
domain name, but can ping the IP address, check your DNS settings in the
TCP/IP properties of your internet connection.

HTH

Nick

Old May 16th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony P

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"Tony P" wrote in message
[...]

Nick, thanks for the response. I have just typed ping 213.239.42.36 and it
was a success.

Ping statistics for 213.239.42.36:

So what do I do now? This problem only showed up yesterday, and I have
never altered any settings in my router since I set it up three months
ago... Could the problem be something that has changed at Tiscali? I
really have no idea how to cure this.... I can't use ftp to access my site
either.

Cheers and thanks
Tony

Old May 16th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"Tony P" wrote in message

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"Tony P" wrote in message
[...]

I once had this problem, I believe it was something malicious that had reset
my DNS settings. My problem was not in the router, but in the network
connections on my computer. (This assumes you are using XP) You need to go
to your network connections, select properties for the connection to your
router, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the scroll box, then click on
the Properties button. Then make sure that "Obtain DNS . . . .
automatically" is selected. That solved the problem for me.

Good luck

Nick

Old May 16th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony P

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"Tony P" wrote in message

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"Tony P" wrote in message
[...]

Nick... You were right... The site is accessible again. Many Thanks for
your help. I still don't understand why this happened though, I didn't set
up the router, and I friend of mine said he manually set the IP stuff,
rather than letting the system assign its own. Still the problem has gone,
and thanks again.

Tony