Are the latest long RFS dates likely to be moveable after end June??

Old May 16th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

Default Are the latest long RFS dates likely to be moveable after end June??

Most of the latest RFS dates for triggered and near-triggered exchanges
are well into 2005.

In some cases this delay may be explicable by their remoteness (all ways
into Kinlochleven are nice, but none are short :-)); however this hardly
applies to say Falfield, stuck right on the A38 & M5. In these cases
the punters might hope that the RFS dates are only provisional, and
likely to be brought forward. (This has certainly happened to several
exchanges in the recent past I think).

But after end of June, under the new 'rollout' programme, ISPs will be
able to place orders immediately, rather than only within 150 days of
RFS. This appears to make bringing forward RFS dates for these exchanges
contractually difficult, if it's not happened by end June??

Is this a correct reading??

Bob

--
robert w hall
Old May 16th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"robert w hall" wrote in message
But after end of June, under the new 'rollout' programme, ISPs will be
able to place orders immediately, rather than only within 150 days of
RFS. This appears to make bringing forward RFS dates for these exchanges
contractually difficult, if it's not happened by end June??

Is this a correct reading??

No.

It is true that exchanges given RFS dates after June are less likely to be
varied - as BT will be working to a national/regional program of uipgrades
and havea much better idea of the timescales involved - but its not
impossible.

As now, if they hit unexpected delays or something happens faster than they
would expect - dates can be moved.

I don't think "contractually difficult" comes into it - as there really
isn't a contract - its BT saying this is the date we expect service to be
available and ISP's can pre-order itbut if for any reason the date is
changed, you will get the service sooner/later - sensibily they are not
legally binding themselves to the stated dates.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 16th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , PlusNet Support Team
writes
On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:24:18 +0100, robert w hall
wrote:

Hi Bob,

Whilst it is certainly possible that the RFS dates are brought forward,
there may be many different reasons why they are set quite a way away.
The ordering and physical installation of the DSLAM probably doesn't take
that long, but if there's no room in the exchange for it then they may
have to relocate other equipment or build extra space. Also building the
backhaul may need duct work to be done, there was one exchange that needed
an undersea cable laying.

Indeed, Torpoint... and I think Millbrook down the estuary will also
need an undersea link, (and has fewer punters on the exchange to 'pay'
for it)

I'd like to see the RFS dates moving forward, but I can see why some
exchanges do take a while.

well I can see there are difficulties for some of the Scottish sites,
but not for a comparatively new exchange 30 yards from the M5. (We know
for a fact that the Bristol-Gloucester TeleWest links go only a few
hundred yards away). (*)

Most other exchanges on the Birmingham-Bristol axis (or 5 miles either
side) have been enabled in times of 2 to 3 months - don't see why this
should be 4 times longer, just because it's last...

Don't mind a _provisional_ date (of nearly a year hence), whilst BT sort
themselves out - _do mind getting stuck with it, and being no better off
than if we'd not campaigned!
Bob

* How do we check where the BT main links go?
--
robert w hall
Old May 16th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Old May 17th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Sunil Sood
writes

"robert w hall" wrote in message
But after end of June, under the new 'rollout' programme, ISPs will be
able to place orders immediately, rather than only within 150 days of
RFS. This appears to make bringing forward RFS dates for these exchanges
contractually difficult, if it's not happened by end June??

Is this a correct reading??

No.

It is true that exchanges given RFS dates after June are less likely to be
varied - as BT will be working to a national/regional program of uipgrades
and havea much better idea of the timescales involved - but its not
impossible.

As now, if they hit unexpected delays or something happens faster than they
would expect - dates can be moved.

Thanks for this Sunil - I was thinking mainly of the latest batch of RFS
dates for triggered/near-triggered exchanges, some of which look very
much like 'holding dates' (eg locally, Falfield. Winchcombe, St
Briavels). In the past one might have expected these RFS to move
substantially forward as the year progressed (if the rest of the forward
programme was implemented without using up the contingency time)

However, feedback I get suggests that this is much less likely once the
roll-out programme is out - even for the 'fully-triggered' exchanges.

Do your sources give a similar reading??

Bob
--
robert w hall
Old May 19th 04, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"robert w hall" wrote in message
Thanks for this Sunil - I was thinking mainly of the latest batch of RFS
dates for triggered/near-triggered exchanges, some of which look very
much like 'holding dates' (eg locally, Falfield. Winchcombe, St
Briavels). In the past one might have expected these RFS to move
substantially forward as the year progressed (if the rest of the forward
programme was implemented without using up the contingency time)

However, feedback I get suggests that this is much less likely once the
roll-out programme is out - even for the 'fully-triggered' exchanges.

Do your sources give a similar reading??

What seems to have happened is that "as promised" BT have issued dates for
these exchanges based on the same basis as all the other ones.

In future, they are going to be taking a more structured rollout - probably
enabling exchanges on a regional basis as that would be the
cheapest/simplest way.

If they then find they can move the existing RFS dates forward - they will..
though they were probably issued in the 1st place after taking into account
the new national rollout program...

Regards
Sunil