ADSL speed problem - comments please

Old May 17th 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Dann

Default ADSL speed problem - comments please

I've got a recurrent download speed problem with my ADSL line that
neither my ISP (Nildram) nor BT seem able to resolve.

The symptoms are that at intervals of a few days, the download speed
becomes unusably low, maybe 1kb/sec, so in practice for example almost
all web pages time out. In between times the speed returns to a good
normal level. There are at least three odd features:

1. I only ever first notice the problem first thing in the morning, as
if there's been some overnight maintenance on BT routing or whatever,
which has misconfigured things. But it can last all day once it's
started.

2. Upload speed seems to remain OK!

3. At least a few bytes always seem to be downloaded OK. So I can ping
or tracert to remote servers without problems. Most web pages start to
download OK (ie the DNS etc is working) but typically die when trying
to download a larger chunk of data like an image. With news, I can
download a single short message reliably, but not longer or multiple
messages.

The connection is on a small home LAN via a Vigor 2600X router. The
PCs are running various flavours of Windows and all show the same
symptoms. Rebooting the router makes no difference.

Can anyone suggest to me/Nildram/BT how to go about troubleshooting
this problem please?

JGD.
Old May 17th 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Not sure if this will help. I have seen similar problems on up load,
download seemed ok. How ever the cause of the problem could effect
downloads as well.

Do you have a personal firewall installed on your pc? If you do is the
router allowed to contact the pc? I have seen the case where the router
is trying to get the pc to slow down its data transfer. The signals
being presumable blocked by the personal fire wall, and hence the pc
never receives them. The router them presumably just throws away the
packets and askes for a resend, hence the slow speed..

Let me know if this helps.

Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
Old May 18th 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

John Dann wrote in message . ..
[...]

I have almost exactly the same problem, although my download speeds
seem to fluctuate from almost nil to OK-ish speeds seemingly randomly.
I have also tried various flavours of Windows and rebooting router
etc, but to no avail.

Help would be welcomed
Old May 18th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Nick wrote:
John Dann wrote in message . ..

[...]

Few things to try
DNS, is it working? Or not resolving some times?

Have you tried the ADSL speed tests? This will give an indication of the
performance of the line without such issues as DNS getting in the way
(too much).

Do you have a fire wall blocking the wrong packets?

If the ADSL line test is constantly slow, do you have an old ADSL modem
you could try? And try a different socket in the house with no other
devices connected to the phone line.

Is the phone line noisy?

Have you tried different filters?

When did this start to occur?

If none of these help, or you need further help let me know

Andrew

Old May 22nd 04, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Jackson

"John Dann" wrote in message
[...]

Hi John,

Are you very far from the exchange? Rural location and overhead lines
anywhere on the path to you? Does the problem also occur when it's been
raining heavily or very cold/hot? If yes to any of the above, I suspect the
physical quality of the line might be an issue. (I'm speaking from bitter
experience here - your symptoms sounds all too familiar.)

Does rebooting the router actually cause the ADSL to dis- & re-connect? If
not, try power-cycling it and see if the performance improves immediately.
My poor line quality definitely upsets my router/modem and a power-cycle is
the often quickest way to recover. (Dunno why but it seems consistent.)

Before you have a go at BT, do try the speedtest on www.adslguide.org and,
if possible, a repeatable, large download from a site in your ISP's domain
as close as possible to you, just to eliminate web delays a much as
possible. Also, does the router provide any diagnostics? Dig out the old
"Frog" if you have one - it provides lots of info about CRC errors,
corrupted data etc. - all useful ammo if you have to bring BT or your ISP
in.

HTH,
Regards,
Andy