D link DSL-504 or DSL-504T

Old May 17th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

Default D link DSL-504 or DSL-504T

Just as I was about to order a DSL-504 I find it's been
replaced with a DSL-504T.
Being a newbie I am now even more confused comparing the
specs of the 2 units. The 'T' is cheaper but anyone know how
it compares with the older model ?
At the moment there are stocks of both units.

Chris

Old May 17th 04, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 17 May 2004, Kris uttered the following:

Just as I was about to order a DSL-504 I find it's been
replaced with a DSL-504T.
Being a newbie I am now even more confused comparing the
specs of the 2 units. The 'T' is cheaper but anyone know how
it compares with the older model ?
At the moment there are stocks of both units.

As far as I can see it has more or less the same capabilities of the old
DSL-504, which I have.

--
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad.
Salvador Dali
Old May 17th 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"Phil Chung" wrote in message
On 17 May 2004, Kris uttered the following:

Just as I was about to order a DSL-504 I find it's been
replaced with a DSL-504T.
Being a newbie I am now even more confused comparing the
specs of the 2 units. The 'T' is cheaper but anyone know how
it compares with the older model ?
At the moment there are stocks of both units.

As far as I can see it has more or less the same capabilities of the old
DSL-504, which I have.

Last I heard (a few weeks ago) there was an issue with the 504T whereby it
could only handle a maximum of 32chars for the connection username.
Apparently, this is/was causing a lot of problems for Virgin net users
(amongst others) who had really long usernames (40chars).
I'd expect that D-Link would release a fix for this sharpish, as it's rather
a show-stopper!
Can't believe they never found that in testing. Shame on them.

Other than that, it's an updated 504.

Baz

Old May 17th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"Baz" wrote in message ...

Last I heard (a few weeks ago) there was an issue with the 504T whereby it

Workaround to username problem
http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...4T_Review5.htm

Check for updated firmware before you use the workaround.

Baz

Old May 17th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...SL504T_Review5
.htm

Check for updated firmware before you use the workaround.

Hmmm...

Helpful, but a bit late in the day on 25-Apr-04. See for example:
http://www.expansys.com/forumthread....hread=1&man=D-
LIN

And yes there is new firmware. According to the (v. brief!) release
notes it fixes the problem. Download it from:
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-504t/

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old May 18th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 17 May 2004, Baz uttered the following:

Last I heard (a few weeks ago) there was an issue with the 504T whereby it
could only handle a maximum of 32chars for the connection username.
Apparently, this is/was causing a lot of problems for Virgin net users
(amongst others) who had really long usernames (40chars).

The problem's in the G604T as well

I'd expect that D-Link would release a fix for this sharpish, as it's rather
a show-stopper!
Can't believe they never found that in testing. Shame on them.

Well, my username and password aren't longer than 32 characters... :-)

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people:
Those who understand what they do not manage.
Old May 18th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Phil Chung wrote in
news
The problem's in the G604T as well

I'd expect that D-Link would release a fix for this sharpish, as
it's rather a show-stopper!

There's updated firmware on the D-Link ftp site for both the DSL-
G604T and DSL-504T (and the DSL-300T ADSL modem - seems like they
released updated firmware for several T series products at the same
time). Find it via: