Pipex BB connection

Old May 17th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

Default Pipex BB connection

I am presently waiting for a new BB connection through Pipex.
My exchange RFS date is 26th May.
Can anyone tell me whether I am likely to be connected on that day, or
whether it is likely to be 10-14 days after that?

Old May 17th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:06:31 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:

I am presently waiting for a new BB connection through Pipex.
My exchange RFS date is 26th May.
Can anyone tell me whether I am likely to be connected on that day, or
whether it is likely to be 10-14 days after that?

My connection came on the same day as promised for the RFS date.

Some people have got in a day early.

I have rarely heard of anyone waiting 10 days.

I can't recall if Pipex even contacted me after it went live. I knew
because the kit was ready to roll, the little green light came on and
the thing connected itself.

Do you have a Dial account that you want to retain? If so, be careful
that they don't pull the plug on you.

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old May 18th 04, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Norman

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:06:31 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:

I am presently waiting for a new BB connection through Pipex.
My exchange RFS date is 26th May.
Can anyone tell me whether I am likely to be connected on that day, or
whether it is likely to be 10-14 days after that?

Pipex will contact you with a connection date which will be after your
exchange RFS date.
You will know when you are connected when your modem ADSL green light
stops flashing and remains on all the time.

Norman

Old May 18th 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

Thanks for the info. I don't have a dial-up account with them, so no
problem.
The only trouble seems to be that they aren't planning on sending me the
hardware
until BT have given them the active date. Still, never mind.

Old May 18th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

What possessed you to get their kit? Is it cheap?

I guess it is easier to scream at them if things go wrong, but most
chat that I have seen suggests that the ISPs are cheapskates when it
comes to the bundled hardware. I mean, they do seem to prefer USB
modems, something I would avoid.

Then again, I didn't consider Pipex because I needed to create a
network and a modem/router combination made sense.

But as far as I can recall, most people seem to get their hardware
before their exchange is due to switch over.

MK

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:52:17 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:

Thanks for the info. I don't have a dial-up account with them, so no
problem.
The only trouble seems to be that they aren't planning on sending me the
hardware
until BT have given them the active date. Still, never mind.

.. .

Old May 19th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

Thanks for the advice. I did consider all these things, but decided to go
with the 'free' hardware to start
with. I may review the situation when I have been running for some time.
Also no requirement yet to
connect more than one PC.

The kit they offer is a USB modem and 2 filters, and is included in the
monthly charge of £23.44 for
uncapped access. There is no setup fee, although if you leave their service
in less than 1 year you have
to pay a fee then which I think is about the same as the standard setup fee.

wrote in message
news
[...]

.. .

Old May 20th 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In that case, you have nothing to lose.

They didn't have the same offer when I went for Pipex ADSL. Certainly
not for the 1MB service I chose.

First thing to do is to download the latest drivers for the modem. I
have yet to receive equipment that did not have newer drivers out
there somewhere. And that goes for the latest model Sony Vaio I bought
last week.

And remember to install the software before the modem. I know, I know,
this is common knowledge, but you would be surprised by the number of
people who just plug their new USB device in first.

MK

On Wed, 19 May 2004 08:41:23 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I did consider all these things, but decided to go
with the 'free' hardware to start
with. I may review the situation when I have been running for some time.
Also no requirement yet to
connect more than one PC.

The kit they offer is a USB modem and 2 filters, and is included in the
monthly charge of £23.44 for
uncapped access. There is no setup fee, although if you leave their service
in less than 1 year you have
to pay a fee then which I think is about the same as the standard setup fee.

wrote in message
news
[...]

.. .