Phone line dead - MUST be a fault with your equipment!!

Old May 17th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Phone line dead - MUST be a fault with your equipment!!

Hi, Last weekend my phone line went dead. Did a line test and automated
voice said "Fault is with your equipment". My phone line came back on this
morning, strangely enough on the next working day ?!?!
Why wont BT accept responsibility and say the problem is with their network.
Last time I had the problem (on a weekday) the fault lasted for about 15
minutes and then it was alright again.

Unplugging all your phones and plugging them back again (which they advise
you to do) makes no sense eithier. It doesnt work.

Anyone else had the same problem with BT/Faulty Equipment ?

Old May 17th 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi, Last weekend my phone line went dead. Did a line test and automated
voice said "Fault is with your equipment". My phone line came back on this
morning, strangely enough on the next working day ?!?!
Why wont BT accept responsibility and say the problem is with their

network.
Last time I had the problem (on a weekday) the fault lasted for about 15
minutes and then it was alright again.

Unplugging all your phones and plugging them back again (which they advise
you to do) makes no sense eithier. It doesnt work.

Anyone else had the same problem with BT/Faulty Equipment ?

My line went dead nearing my ADSL activation, BT line checker said that the
fault was at my end. I was warned by BT that because the fault was at my end
I could be liable for a call out fee to have an engineer call at the house.
The engineer arrived 2 days later, listened to the line and said that the
fault was the exchange end.
Was fixed at the exchange 30 minutes later.

My previous house had an intermittant line problem, eventually they switched
me on to a new pair of cables which fixed the problem, once again I was
assured that the problem was my equipment as the line checked out OK.

Have seroius doubts to the accuracy of the line checker...

Keep on at them until the problem is resolved.

Old May 18th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McIntosh

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi, Last weekend my phone line went dead. Did a line test and automated
voice said "Fault is with your equipment". My phone line came back on this
morning, strangely enough on the next working day ?!?!
Why wont BT accept responsibility and say the problem is with their

network.
Last time I had the problem (on a weekday) the fault lasted for about 15
minutes and then it was alright again.

Unplugging all your phones and plugging them back again (which they advise
you to do) makes no sense eithier. It doesnt work.

Anyone else had the same problem with BT/Faulty Equipment ?

A few weeks back I had similar problems: Lost the voice line for about 15
mins on the Monday, then on the Wednesday it went out again for (I guess)
around an hour, in each it seemed to "self-right" itself. Then of the Friday
afternoon it conked out again. Big mistake was waiting a while for it to fix
itself again. By the time it dawned that it was really broken this time, it
was past 6pm and the engineers had all gone off for the weekend. Using the
online fault reporting system, it initially indicated that a test indicated
that the fault lay "within the customer's property", so I went round
unplugging phones (doing this one at a time can identify whether a broken
piece of equipment is pulling the whole system down) to no effect. ADSL was
still working, but the phones were all totally dead, so I guessed that a
Power supply had gone down in the exchange. After a while the status changed
to show that the fault was suspected to be in the exchange. Anyway, it
eventually got fixed around 8am on the Monday when the engineer turned up to
start the new week.

---