ADSL 58.75 Connection Fee

Old May 17th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

Default ADSL 58.75 Connection Fee

Hi,

Could someone please explain this connection fee to me. As I understand this
is what BT charge the ISP's to activate ADSL on the line and some of the
bigger ISP's absorb the cost with higher prices and 12 month contracts.

Is the 58.75 purely to activate the line?

I saw from the Plusnet website that if you are already an active ADSL
customer, they will migrate you free of charge but when I spoke to BullDog,
they insisted that the charge would remain even thought I currently have an
active ADSL line.

Do they have to pay BT everytime they set a new account up or is the 58.75
paid just on the first activation and if so why would BullDog charge a fee
for a line that is already activated.

Cheers

Old May 17th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Is the 58.75 purely to activate the line?

yes, 50 + VAT.

I saw from the Plusnet website that if you are already an active ADSL
customer, they will migrate you free of charge but when I spoke to

BullDog,
they insisted that the charge would remain even thought I currently have

an
active ADSL line.

BT Wholesale charge 11+ VAT for migration.. Plusnet will be asorbing this
charge if you transfer to them.

Do they have to pay BT everytime they set a new account up or is the

58.75
paid just on the first activation and if so why would BullDog charge a fee
for a line that is already activated.

The 50 + VAT has to be paid each time a line is activated.

To qualify for the 11+VAT "migration charge" instead, two things have to
occur:

1. You have to be moving to the same speed service (512K--512K for
instance)

2. Both ISP's have to use the same wholesale service from BT (i.e. BT
IPStream--BT IPStream).

However, wherever possible, Bulldog use BT DataStream (or LLU) - this allows
them to provide much cheaper services like their PrimeTime "time of day"
ones (these are only available on around 650 exchanges on which Bulldog have
BT DataStream or LLU on - not BT IPStream)

As most ISP's use BT IPStream and Bulldog dont -- Bulldog will not be able
to pay the migration charge and thus the 58.75 occurs.

BT are working on IPStream--DataStream "migrations" but they don't exist
yet and the "same speed" limitation may still apply.

btw, if you/anyone does decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my
referral code when signing up - just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up
online (under "How did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or by
telephone."

Regards
Sunil

Old May 17th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message:

yes, 50 + VAT.

[...]

'
Thanx Sunil. I wish the rep at BullDog would have made it this clear.

Old May 17th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Thanx Sunil. I wish the rep at BullDog would have made it this clear.

Are you looking at switching from Plus.net already?

Old May 17th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Thanx Sunil. I wish the rep at BullDog would have made it this clear.

I imagine that most of the callers they get are not interested in the
differences between IPStream, DataStream and LLU etc..!

Bulldog also sometimes have "special offers" on connection fees - for
instance, I see their Alltime 2000 product has a connection fee of 1 atm.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 17th 04, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

"Meggahurtz" wrote in message:

Are you looking at switching from Plus.net already?

Hi Meggahurts, no I was just wondering why some charge the fee and some
don't. I am happy with my new Plusnet 14.99 connection...not had any
problems yet but I am still p!ssed off about the Plusnet sales person giving
me incorrect info before signing up. I now have a load of NTL wireless
equipment that I cant use.

Old May 17th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sunil Sood wrote:

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Thanx Sunil. I wish the rep at BullDog would have made it this clear.

I imagine that most of the callers they get are not interested in the
differences between IPStream, DataStream and LLU etc..!

Bulldog also sometimes have "special offers" on connection fees - for
instance, I see their Alltime 2000 product has a connection fee of ?1 atm.

An answer in the script like
"
To offer more flexibility, including higher speeds and ... Bulldog
deliver your service using a BT product that unfortunately does not support
migrations"
might be nice.
Old May 17th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
An answer in the script like
"
To offer more flexibility, including higher speeds and ... Bulldog
deliver your service using a BT product that unfortunately does not

support
migrations"
might be nice.

Trouble is, unlike most ISP's Bulldog use all 3 methods (LLU, DataStream and
IPStream) to connect their customers, depending on the service ordered and
the exchange.

As such, its possible to "migrate" to some services and not others, in some
areas and not others etc..

Also, its possible for Bulldog to "migrate" customers (where migrate =
virtually no downtime) from IPStream services to their own LLU network -
though this still incurs a hefty connection charge from BT and not the
11+VAT "reduced" one - hence its a confusing situation and I gather Bulldog
like to try and play down peoples expectations and (for example) say it will
take "up to two weeks to be connected" and then in some cases do it with 24
hours etc..

However, I believe they are trying to write a new guide to all this sort of
stuff which will eventually going on their web site..

Regards
Sunil

Old May 18th 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Gareth :-) voom wrote:

"Meggahurtz" wrote in message:

Are you looking at switching from Plus.net already?

Hi Meggahurts, no I was just wondering why some charge the fee and
some don't. I am happy with my new Plusnet 14.99 connection...not
had any problems yet but I am still p!ssed off about the Plusnet
sales person giving me incorrect info before signing up. I now have a
load of NTL wireless equipment that I cant use.

Have you tried selling it on Ebay?
--
Cheers,
Tim