V. slow download speed, upload speed OK

Old May 18th 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Default V. slow download speed, upload speed OK

Hi

I have just had ADSL installed. I am finding that download speeds are
very slow (0.5 - 1k/s) much of the time, but sometimes jump up to
OK-ish levels. All the while, upload speeds are fine.

The BT engineer who came tested the line and got a download speed I
would have expected from my connection. He was using his own ADSL
modem, not the modem/router that I am using - a D-Link (not sure which
model, but it's a combined modem/wireless router).

I have tried different computers (with Windows XP, ME and NT4) but all
have the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Old May 18th 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I have just had ADSL installed. I am finding that download speeds are
very slow (0.5 - 1k/s) much of the time, but sometimes jump up to
OK-ish levels. All the while, upload speeds are fine.

The BT engineer who came tested the line and got a download speed I
would have expected from my connection. He was using his own ADSL
modem, not the modem/router that I am using - a D-Link (not sure which
model, but it's a combined modem/wireless router).

I have tried different computers (with Windows XP, ME and NT4) but all
have the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

What are u trying to download???

Old May 18th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Chris" wrote in message ...

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I have just had ADSL installed. I am finding that download speeds are
very slow (0.5 - 1k/s) much of the time, but sometimes jump up to
OK-ish levels. All the while, upload speeds are fine.

The BT engineer who came tested the line and got a download speed I
would have expected from my connection. He was using his own ADSL
modem, not the modem/router that I am using - a D-Link (not sure which
model, but it's a combined modem/wireless router).

I have tried different computers (with Windows XP, ME and NT4) but all
have the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

What are u trying to download???

Do you have a filter on the line between the wall socket and the
modem/router???

Old May 18th 04, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Nick wrote:
Hi

I have just had ADSL installed. I am finding that download speeds are
very slow (0.5 - 1k/s) much of the time, but sometimes jump up to
OK-ish levels. All the while, upload speeds are fine.

Are you using a wireless connection to your router?
Old May 18th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

What are u trying to download???

Tried loads of websites, loads of different files - makes no difference
Old May 18th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

chris wrote:
On 18 May 2004 10:59:07 -0700 and in article
, Nick said...
: What are u trying to download???
:
: Tried loads of websites, loads of different files - makes no difference
:
:
Tried changing your MTU to 1430 and RWIN to 13900? Use DrTCP to do this
on Windows.

The standard settings should at least get the majoriry of the
performance of the link.
Something else is wrong.
Old June 18th 04, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bink

(Nick) wrote in message . com...
Hi

I have just had ADSL installed. I am finding that download speeds are
very slow (0.5 - 1k/s) much of the time, but sometimes jump up to
OK-ish levels. All the while, upload speeds are fine.

The BT engineer who came tested the line and got a download speed I
would have expected from my connection. He was using his own ADSL
modem, not the modem/router that I am using - a D-Link (not sure which
model, but it's a combined modem/wireless router).

I have tried different computers (with Windows XP, ME and NT4) but all
have the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

No, but it sounds like I'm going through the same thing. It's driving
me nuts!!

What tends to happen is if I leave the line diconnected for several
hours, when I reconnect all is fine, d/l at full rate. After a shoirt
while though it gets slower and slower and grinds to a halt virtually.
Upload speed is fine! I've had BB a couple of months (I'm actually
with Openworld) and it used to be ok.

Tried both a Voyager USB and a Binatone ethernet router, tried
different PC's, Win98SE and Win2K, different filters, removed all
extension wiring etc, no help. Tried all sorts of RWIN and MTU
settings.

Sometimes, small downloads are OK (e.g. I can use google reasonably)
but downloading a file more than a few k is impossible.

BT tested the line, all OK (as I suspected, the SNR margin is good and
the modem never loses sync and reports few errors). Sent an engineer
out, he had no problems, they sent another engineer out and he sat
here surfing with his Win98 laptop and speedtouch "frog" for nearly an
hour with no probs. The minute I connect my gear, it all goes wrong
again.

Mine's been playing up since about the start of May, and is worse than
ever at the moment. Did the op ever find the fault? Please help, I'm
pulling my hair out over this one!!
Old June 18th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 17 Jun 2004 23:40:14 -0700, (Bink)
wrote:

Tried all sorts of RWIN and MTU
settings.

what are you using now - MTU on the PC and if aplicable the router.

Sometimes, small downloads are OK (e.g. I can use google reasonably)
but downloading a file more than a few k is impossible.

looks like an MTU problem. Get a command window (cmd in the Run box of
start) and try "ping
www.bbc.co.uk -l 1472 -f' (the character befroe
the 1472 is a lowercase L)

if you get the response "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set."
try 1430 instead of 1472, if that works you need the MTU at 1458. Same
if it times out.

BT tested the line, all OK (as I suspected, the SNR margin is good and
the modem never loses sync and reports few errors). Sent an engineer
out, he had no problems, they sent another engineer out and he sat
here surfing with his Win98 laptop and speedtouch "frog" for nearly an
hour with no probs. The minute I connect my gear, it all goes wrong
again.

so its either your gear or your ISP. What ISP and account type ?

Phil
Old July 2nd 04, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bink

wrote:

Tried all sorts of RWIN and MTU
settings.

what are you using now - MTU on the PC and if aplicable the router.

Tried one, then the other then both. Every combination I could think
of!

Sometimes, small downloads are OK (e.g. I can use google reasonably)
but downloading a file more than a few k is impossible.

looks like an MTU problem. Get a command window (cmd in the Run box of
start) and try "ping
www.bbc.co.uk -l 1472 -f' (the character befroe
the 1472 is a lowercase L)

if you get the response "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set."
try 1430 instead of 1472, if that works you need the MTU at 1458. Same
if it times out.

Yep, did all that. That didn't fix it.

BT tested the line, all OK (as I suspected, the SNR margin is good and
the modem never loses sync and reports few errors). Sent an engineer
out, he had no problems, they sent another engineer out and he sat
here surfing with his Win98 laptop and speedtouch "frog" for nearly an
hour with no probs. The minute I connect my gear, it all goes wrong
again.

so its either your gear or your ISP. What ISP and account type ?

It's Openworld standard 512k. An update though: I managed to
download a firmware upgrade for the ethernet router modem I was using
and the problem seems to be fixed on that, but the Voyager still has
the same problem. I'm happy cos I only needed the router to work, but
it still strikes me as odd that both of these modems suddenly
displayed the same problem yet worked fine in the past. I'm convinced
something must have changed with the exchange equipment, an upgrade or
something, that my modems couldn't cope with in their build state. If
I had the time to investigate, perhaps I would, but there's more
important things... :-)

Phil