Alcatel SpeedTouch+BT

Old May 18th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Carrison

Default Alcatel SpeedTouch+BT

All,

I have just moved house to Witney, in Oxfordshire.

In my previous house, my employer provided me with a seperate line and ADSL
from MainStream Digital. I shared the connection (as I do now) for my home
LAN. I never had any problems with the DLink modem or the line, at one point
it was up constantly for nearly three months.

I've had ADSL from BT in my new house now for 3 days - and already I'm
having problems.

The speed is fine etc and the line stays up when I use the phone so I guess
all the filters are OK.

The problem is, seemingly at random, that the connection just drops out. The
light on the Speedtouch 330 starts flashing and no amount of re-dialling
helps. I either have to re-boot or remove the USB connection and plug it
back in - then it re-syncs in a few seconds and I can connect up again with
no probs.

I'm running version 300.7.0.2 of the SpeedTouch driver, on W2K SP4. The PC
is an P3 1.2Gh with 512Mb RAM - performance isn't an issue since I only do
office stuff and some surfing.

Any suggestions?

If possible please cc: my mail address with any reply.

Thanks for your time:

Stu

Old May 18th 04, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mindmender

"Stuart Carrison" wrote in message
[...]

VIA Chipset on Mobo?

Old May 18th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Certainly is....

In that case, if you google you`ll find lots of information about the
speedtouch drawing too much power off the usb port, and a reboot is
normally the only thing that will bring it back to life...

I`d suggest ditching it personally and getting a cheap router/modem - I
bought four port one from ebuyer for ~40 and haven`t looked back :-)

The ASR-8400 seems to do most people fine but I think it might be out of
stock - try the ASR-8000 if you`re happy with a single port version (ie.
if you don`t intend sharing the connection)

Old May 19th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Carrison

Hi Colin.

Thanks for the advise, I've just ordered the ASR-8400 from Scan.

I'll let you know next week how I got on :-)

Stu

t...

Old May 21st 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Carrison

Well - it arrived this evening!!

So far, so good. The only problem is that DNS seems a little slow, and
occaisonally it takes two or three goes to get it to respond.

I have the DNS proxy OFF and I have my ISPs DNS servers as forwarded servers
on my Windows 2000 box - normally this works fine (did do under the old RRAS
solution I was using with the alcatel modem).

Known issue? Maybe I should just allow my servers cache to build up nicely!

Stu