What is LLU?

Old May 19th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wiffy

Default What is LLU?

Sorry to be a complete ignoramus here, but there is a lot of talk about LLU,
and whilst I am not a complete idiot, I am not sure I understand exactly
what it is. Can somebody please provide me with a definitive explanation of
LLU, as none of the BB sites seem to have a definitive guide?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge, and tolerance!

Ian

Old May 19th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mr Wiffy" wrote in message
Sorry to be a complete ignoramus here, but there is a lot of talk about

LLU,
and whilst I am not a complete idiot, I am not sure I understand exactly
what it is. Can somebody please provide me with a definitive explanation

of
LLU, as none of the BB sites seem to have a definitive guide?

LLU stands for Local Loop Unbundling.

What happens with most xDSL ISP's is that they resell the BT Wholesale
product range - adding on extra's (like static IP etc) depending on who they
are trying to target.

However, these ISP's are limited to reselling the BT Wholesale quoted speeds
(upload and download) and contention levels - as they rely on the BT xDSL
equipment at exchanges.

LLU is the name given to the process, where an ISP installs its own ADSL
equipment at the exchange. This means that ISP is no longer limited to
reselling BT's range of xDSL products and means they can design their own.

For instance, there are 3 "big" LLU operators in the UK.

1. BulldogDSL - they have LLU'ed 35 exchanges and offer 400K upload as
standard (as opposed to BT Wholesale's 256K). Bulldog also offer 4/6/8MB
products - BT Wholesale currently limit their xDSL range to 2MB

2. HomeChoice has LLU'ed around 80 exchanges (will be around 150 by the end
of the year) - they offer Video on Demand services + a 1 or 2MB internet
connection as a package - its believed they run their lines at about 5/6MB
to support all these services.

3. Easynet - the biggest LLU operator - they offer all kinds of packages
which are attractive to businesses - as its their own equipment in BT
exchanges, they offer things like SLA's etc..

Regards
Sunil

Old May 19th 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Iain A F Fleming" wrote in message
And, if you're in Scotland, EdNet, who were one of the first ISPs to
get into LLU, have unbundled most of the local exchanges in Edinburgh
and Glasgow. [They do, however, have a slightly antedeluvian approach
to mutliple machines sharing a single consumer ADSL line.]

Are you sure they do LLU?

I ask as their website
(http://www.ednet.co.uk/products_services/access/adsl/) shows all their ADSL
connection and migration charges match those BT charge for IPStream products
and not LLU.. - as do all their product speeds and contention levels.. hence
if they do do LLU - they don't appear to be taking absolutely no advantage
of it.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 19th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Mr Wiffy" wrote in message
[...]

When I first heard of LLU it was always mentioned in the context of
telephony, usually in the same breath as Carrier Preselect.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 19th 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Steve" wrote in message
So what's Line Sharing then, please?

There are two types of LLU:

1. where the ISP takes over the "entire" BT line.

Its not very common in the UK and is typically used to provide SDSL
services - which as they use different frequences to ADSL means that no
"voice service" is provided - which allows them to use the additional
frequencies which provide the extra bandwidth needed for the SDSL service.

2. Is the more common (and cheaper!) type of LLU - which is called "Line
Sharing" and its where the voice service (typically provided by BT) "shares
the line" with the ADSL service provided with the LLU operator.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 20th 04, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sunil Sood wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
So what's Line Sharing then, please?

There are two types of LLU:

1. where the ISP takes over the "entire" BT line.

Its not very common in the UK and is typically used to provide SDSL
services - which as they use different frequences to ADSL means that no
"voice service" is provided - which allows them to use the additional
frequencies which provide the extra bandwidth needed for the SDSL service.

Why?
Surely 0-4Khz can only carry little data.

Or is it that filters are not brick wall.