BT hits 90% ADSL coverage..

Old May 19th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default BT hits 90% ADSL coverage..

From
http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressrelea...004/nr0435.htm

BT today announced that nine out of 10 UK homes and businesses were now
connected to exchanges providing broadband ADSL services.

The 22 exchanges going live for broadband today take coverage past the 90
per cent mark - a significant milestone on the way to universal broadband
availability.

BT Wholesale chief executive Paul Reynolds said: "This is a stunning
achievement. Nine out of 10 people are now connected up to a broadband
exchange and we've announced plans to get us to near universal coverage by
next summer - well ahead of earlier predictions.

"Our pioneering approach to broadband rollout has been widely recognised,
most recently with the OECD rural broadband report putting Britain ahead of
the pack for broadband availability compared to the other G7 nations.

"BT has put the UK at 90 per cent ADSL coverage today with our closest
competitor countries in the G7 aiming for this level by the end of 2004. By
that stage we'll be past 95 percent and well on the way to topping 99 per
cent by summer 2005."

Each week, BT's broadband rollout programme sees exchanges serving
thousands more homes and businesses upgraded for broadband. To date there
are 2,652 exchanges live for broadband with 2,366 more in the build
programme for upgrade by next summer giving 99.6 per cent coverage.

BT continues to investigate innovative approaches, including working with
public sector partners, to bring broadband to the remaining areas served by
the 566 smallest and most remote exchanges which between them serve fewer
than 100,000 homes.

The rollout programme is reaching more and more rural areas with exchanges
going live today including Keswick in the Lake District and Germoe in
Cornwall. The arrival of broadband at Ogmore Valley, one of a trio of Welsh
exchanges going live today, completes the exchange rollout for the Bridgend
local authority area.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 19th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dolphin Boy

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
[...]

AND what percentage of the 90% can actually get ADSL?

Old May 19th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Dolphin Boy wrote:

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
From

http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressrelea...004/nr0435.htm

BT today announced that nine out of 10 UK homes and businesses were
now connected to exchanges providing broadband ADSL services.

AND what percentage of the 90% can actually get ADSL?

You beat me to it! Just because you're connected to an ADSL exchange doesn't
necessarily mean that you can get ADSL. BT's claim of 90% *coverage* is
therefore highly misleading - but will doubtless be perpetrated by the
Government!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 19th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netcom mbickers

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
From

http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressrelea...004/nr0435.htm

BT today announced that nine out of 10 UK homes and businesses were now
connected to exchanges providing broadband ADSL services.

The 22 exchanges going live for broadband today take coverage past the 90
per cent mark - a significant milestone on the way to universal broadband
availability.

Not much comfort when you are connected via one of the smaller exchanges
that are not scheduled to be updated. That is unless you want to cough up
25,000 on the Exchange Enable scam to make 30 lines available and the
10,000 for the next 30....... This on top of the ISP Going rate per month!

Lest we get the inevitable response of "If you do want to live in the middle
of nowhere!" We are situated in the middle of North Hertfordshire, only 3
miles from the A1, 25 miles from Cambridge. Our closest exchange is in
Baldock about 6 Kilometres, but in BT Provisioning terms we are connected
via an RCU connected to Royston. ISDN was available, but the small number
of lines provisioned have now been assigned!

ADSL is only a pipedream?

Maurice

Old May 19th 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dolphin Boy" wrote in message
AND what percentage of the 90% can actually get ADSL?

"Currently more than 96 per cent of homes and businesses connected to
broadband enabled exchanges are within range of ADSL services and BT
believes the (Milton Keynes) trial could establish the way to increase this
to more than 99 per cent."

Regards
Sunil