help/advice

Old May 19th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mulldoonuk

Default help/advice

Hi,just signed up for plusnets easystart package,on aol dial up at
this moment,(yep, you read it right) novice to broadband(but learning
all the time)one thing i have learned is not to go the usb modem
route(they supply this and will use as back up)In my thirst for BB
education i have learned the best way seems to be an ethernet
connection,this is where it starts getting confusing(for me anyway)I
have a new desktop pc and dont want to link it to any other computers
so...what do i need? a single port ethernet adsl modem/router is this
correct??? if so does anyone know where i can get one of
these(cheap)online... or even the high street.PS.. not intrested in
wireless.Any help/advice would be greatly appreaciated.Thanks.
Old May 19th 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tickettyboo

In m,
mulldoonuk whispered softly in my ear....:
Hi,just signed up for plusnets easystart package,on aol dial up at
this moment,(yep, you read it right) novice to broadband(but learning
all the time)one thing i have learned is not to go the usb modem
route(they supply this and will use as back up)In my thirst for BB
education i have learned the best way seems to be an ethernet
connection,this is where it starts getting confusing(for me anyway)I
have a new desktop pc and dont want to link it to any other computers
so...what do i need? a single port ethernet adsl modem/router is this
correct??? if so does anyone know where i can get one of
these(cheap)online... or even the high street.PS.. not intrested in
wireless.Any help/advice would be greatly appreaciated.Thanks.

I have been using a Plusnet supplied usb modem for about 8 months now with
a software firewall, steady as a rock and no problems. Why not try the one
they supply before buying something else?

--
Ticketty▀║║

Old May 19th 04, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

mulldoonuk wrote:

Hi,just signed up for plusnets easystart package,on aol dial up at
this moment,(yep, you read it right) novice to broadband(but learning
all the time)one thing i have learned is not to go the usb modem
route(they supply this and will use as back up)In my thirst for BB
education i have learned the best way seems to be an ethernet
connection,this is where it starts getting confusing(for me anyway)I
have a new desktop pc and dont want to link it to any other computers
so...what do i need? a single port ethernet adsl modem/router is this
correct??? if so does anyone know where i can get one of
these(cheap)online... or even the high street.PS.. not intrested in
wireless.Any help/advice would be greatly appreaciated.Thanks.

If you're only *ever* going to connect a single computer to ADSL, you don't
*actually* need a router - all you need is an ADSL modem. [Note, though,
that most routers do also act as firewalls - so make sure that, at least,
you use a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm].

If you don't fancy PlusNet's USB modem (and I didn't, either!) you can get
an internal PCI card modem for around 20 quid from the like of Dabs - or
even less if you don't mind bidding for a second hand one on Ebay, as I did.
You don't even need your computer to have an ethernet port for this
solution - just a spare PCI slot.

While you're waiting for it to happen, give some thought to your phone
wiring. Have you got lots of extension sockets wired into your master
socket? If so, it is a much neater solution (and probably superior
technically) to use a filtered master socket faceplate rather than a
plethora of micro-filters. Is your master socket close to your computer. If
so, the filtered faceplate solution is even better. If not, you would need a
digital extension (additional to any existing analog extensions) from the
master socket to the computer location.
--
Cheers,
Tim