ADSL signal to noise ratio.

Old May 19th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default ADSL signal to noise ratio.

Purely out of curiosity what sort of figures would be expected from a
functioning UK ADSL line? I note that my router reports line attenuation
consistently at 54dB but the SNR fluctuates from 11 up to 20dB. Constructive
comments would be welcomed.
--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers to email me

Old May 19th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter Crosland wrote:
Purely out of curiosity what sort of figures would be expected from a
functioning UK ADSL line? I note that my router reports line attenuation
consistently at 54dB but the SNR fluctuates from 11 up to 20dB. Constructive
comments would be welcomed.

As long as the SNR is positive, it's good.
I see attenuations of some 55-64db, and SNR of around 13db or so at most
times.
Old May 19th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

Peter Crosland wrote:
Purely out of curiosity what sort of figures would be expected from a
functioning UK ADSL line? I note that my router reports line
attenuation consistently at 54dB but the SNR fluctuates from 11 up
to 20dB. Constructive comments would be welcomed.

As long as the SNR is positive, it's good.
I see attenuations of some 55-64db, and SNR of around 13db or so at
most times.

My attenuation is usually 52 dB. S/N varies from 4.5 dB to 12 dB

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old May 19th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Peter Crosland wrote:

Purely out of curiosity what sort of figures would be expected from a
functioning UK ADSL line? I note that my router reports line
attenuation consistently at 54dB but the SNR fluctuates from 11 up to
20dB. Constructive comments would be welcomed.

My understanding is that the attenuation has to be better than 60db for BT
to install the 500k service (mine was 49db) and around 40db for a 1M or 2M
connection.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 19th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Thanks for the answers neither of which answered the question posed! Could
someone who actually knows give an answer on the SBR only?

Old May 19th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Purely out of curiosity what sort of figures would be expected from a
functioning UK ADSL line? I note that my router reports line attenuation
consistently at 54dB but the SNR fluctuates from 11 up to 20dB.

Constructive
comments would be welcomed.
--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers to email me

A couple of weeks ago I saw a connection that varied between 22db and 12db
(58db attenuation) when ever a particular set of halogen lights in the house
were turned on. It turned out the telephone cable ran in the ceiling an inch
or two from the transformer for the lights. Moving the transformer just a
foot away removed the interference and stabilised the SNR.

Jc.

Old May 20th 04, 02:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter Crosland wrote:
Thanks for the answers neither of which answered the question posed! Could
someone who actually knows give an answer on the SBR only?

If signal is constant, noise must be varying, mustn't it.
Old May 20th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

Purely out of curiosity what sort of figures would be expected from a
functioning UK ADSL line? I note that my router reports line
attenuation consistently at 54dB but the SNR fluctuates from 11 up
to 20dB. Constructive comments would be welcomed.

As long as the SNR is positive, it's good.
I see attenuations of some 55-64db, and SNR of around 13db or so at
most times.

My attenuation is usually 52 dB. S/N varies from 4.5 dB to 12 dB

I live about 200 yards from the exchange, hence I get an SNR of 45db and a
line attenuation of 12.5db.

To the original poster, if your connection works, why worry?

Old May 20th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I live about 200 yards from the exchange, hence I get an SNR of 45db and a
line attenuation of 12.5db.

To the original poster, if your connection works, why worry?

Not worried at all! I would just like to understand what is happening.

Old May 20th 04, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
I live about 200 yards from the exchange, hence I get an SNR of 45db and

line attenuation of 12.5db.

To the original poster, if your connection works, why worry?

Not worried at all! I would just like to understand what is happening.

From what I can gather from your stats and I'm by no means an expert, your
line attenutation is quite high (but within BT's limits). This probably
explains the fluctuating SNR you are seeing on your line. If you have a low
attenuation, then this means that the line is better quality - thus more
stable. People with high attenuation figures sometimes report losing sync
with the exchange on a regular basis, probably as a result of fluctuating
SNR.

Although i could be talking rubbish...