crossover cable or not

Old May 20th 04, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
freeda

Default crossover cable or not

I have 1 port Ethernet Router/Modem, do I need a Xover cable to connect it
to my 8 port switch??

TIA

Old May 20th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark T

"freeda" wrote in message
I have 1 port Ethernet Router/Modem, do I need a Xover cable to connect it
to my 8 port switch??

TIA

No, xover cable is only required when connecting pc to pc without a switch

Mark

Old May 20th 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:00:34 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "freeda"
strung together this:

I have 1 port Ethernet Router/Modem, do I need a Xover cable to connect it
to my 8 port switch??

Generally not. They'll usually have auto sensing ports so will work
with either.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old May 20th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"Mark T" wrote in message

"freeda" wrote in message
I have 1 port Ethernet Router/Modem, do I need a Xover cable to connect

it
to my 8 port switch??

TIA

No, xover cable is only required when connecting pc to pc without a switch

Mark

Or switch to switch, so in this case he may have to if the port on the
router (or switch) is not auto-sensing.

Chris.

Old May 20th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark T

"Chris" wrote in message

"Mark T" wrote in message

"freeda" wrote in message
I have 1 port Ethernet Router/Modem, do I need a Xover cable to

connect
it
to my 8 port switch??

TIA

No, xover cable is only required when connecting pc to pc without a

switch

Mark

Or switch to switch, so in this case he may have to if the port on the
router (or switch) is not auto-sensing.

Chris.

Quite true, but even if the switch is not auto-sensing some have 2 No1 ports
or a change over switch, but as he's not told us the make/model etc I
suppose it's difficult to give a very accurate answer

Mark

Old May 20th 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
freeda

"Mark T" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

"Mark T" wrote in message

"freeda" wrote in message
I have 1 port Ethernet Router/Modem, do I need a Xover cable to

connect
it
to my 8 port switch??

TIA

No, xover cable is only required when connecting pc to pc without a

switch

Mark

Or switch to switch, so in this case he may have to if the port on the
router (or switch) is not auto-sensing.

Chris.

Quite true, but even if the switch is not auto-sensing some have 2 No1

ports
or a change over switch, but as he's not told us the make/model etc I
suppose it's difficult to give a very accurate answer

It is a basic dabs.co.uk 8 port switch with some unknown brand called
Edimax. I'm only asking this as I am setting up a network and I have yet to
go out and buy cable.

Old May 20th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark T

snip

Or switch to switch, so in this case he may have to if the port on the
router (or switch) is not auto-sensing.

Chris.

Quite true, but even if the switch is not auto-sensing some have 2 No1

ports
or a change over switch, but as he's not told us the make/model etc I
suppose it's difficult to give a very accurate answer

It is a basic dabs.co.uk 8 port switch with some unknown brand called
Edimax. I'm only asking this as I am setting up a network and I have yet

go out and buy cable.

If it's this one
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=2J7V
it appears to be fully auto-sensing so no cross over cable required.

Mark