Cancelling BT Openworld

Old May 20th 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparkplug

Default Cancelling BT Openworld

I currently have BT Openworld dialup and want to migrate to Metronet ADSL.
Do I have to cancel Openworld first?

Old May 20th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Warthog

"Sparkplug" wrote in message
I currently have BT Openworld dialup and want to migrate to Metronet ADSL.
Do I have to cancel Openworld first?

no, you dont... You can still keep BTO as a backup incase Broadband goes
down.

Warthog.

Old May 20th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparkplug

"Warthog" wrote in message
"Sparkplug" wrote in message
I currently have BT Openworld dialup and want to migrate to Metronet

ADSL.
Do I have to cancel Openworld first?

no, you dont... You can still keep BTO as a backup incase Broadband goes
down.

Warthog.

Metronet provides an 0845 service for backup, which seems sufficient to me.

Old May 20th 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:32:13 +0000 (UTC), "Sparkplug"
wrote:

I currently have BT Openworld dialup and want to migrate to Metronet ADSL.
Do I have to cancel Openworld first?

Just downgrade to "pay as you go".

Old May 20th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I currently have BT Openworld dialup and want to migrate to Metronet ADSL.
Do I have to cancel Openworld first?

Just drop it to PAYG via their website

Old May 20th 04, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sparkplug wrote:

"Warthog" wrote in message
"Sparkplug" wrote in message
I currently have BT Openworld dialup and want to migrate to Metronet

ADSL.
Do I have to cancel Openworld first?

no, you dont... You can still keep BTO as a backup incase Broadband goes
down.

Warthog.

Metronet provides an 0845 service for backup, which seems sufficient to me.

It can be handy to have a backup, in case your main ISP goes tits up.
It's a pity the decision has been made in BT that the customer can't
have two ISPs if they wish on one line, and pick which they want at
login time.
Old May 20th 04, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Turner

Ian Stirling wrote:
It's a pity the decision has been made in BT that the customer can't
have two ISPs if they wish on one line, and pick which they want at
login time.

You can (or at least could around last Xmas time) have an ADSL line
configured by BT such that the user can choose (by changing the config on
his ADSL router) which ISP to connect to. We (InterViVo) had it enabled
on a few staff ADSL lines while we were testing our own ADSL service
prior to launch. Both ISPs have to give permission before BT will set
it up, and I understand that most ISPs won't give that permission for
some reason.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old May 21st 04, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Mark Turner wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
It's a pity the decision has been made in BT that the customer can't
have two ISPs if they wish on one line, and pick which they want at
login time.

You can (or at least could around last Xmas time) have an ADSL line
configured by BT such that the user can choose (by changing the config on
his ADSL router) which ISP to connect to. We (InterViVo) had it enabled
on a few staff ADSL lines while we were testing our own ADSL service
prior to launch. Both ISPs have to give permission before BT will set
it up, and I understand that most ISPs won't give that permission for
some reason.

I suspect that in practice, this may be impossible.

You'd need to get the ISPs to arrange it, as BTW won't talk to end users.
Getting ISPs to agree to something that maybe one or two people in the
ISP might have an inkling might be possible is going to be hard in
most cases.

If you'r an ISP (or running an ADSL service) you probably are in a better
position.