DLink, bunch of amateurs or what!

Old May 21st 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Reeves

Default DLink, bunch of amateurs or what!

Hi,

Perhaps someone here will know the solution to my problem since DLink
certainly don't!

I had a DSL-504/UK V1 B with b2t10uk firmware that was working very
reliably. Some of the web interface pages didn't work though so I
though I'd upgrade to the latest firmware to fix this. BIG MISTAKE.
I couldn't get the upgrade to work so I contacted DLink who told me I
needed to load the earlier 18 to be able load the latest 14 (Duh!
don't DLink understand version numbers go up?).

The software they supplied didn't work. In fact there seem to be 2
sorts of firmware loaders, programs that run and files that you use
the web interface to load. Both styles are available on DLink ftp
with different version numbers! I'm not convinced they are for
different variants of the 504. DLink ftp sites say NOTHING about what
the different firmwares are for, you have to guess from the cryptic
file name - amateur or what? Tech support have no answered my
question on this either. In fact, I don't really know how I got the
firmware upgraded. Seems like just try and try and then sometime it
will work.

Currently I have 14 (web interface) loaded. I cannot load 18
(earlier) or 17. The loader program says it has done but it hasn't.
I'd like to go back to 10 but DLink don't have that on the ftp site
and Tech support have ignored my request for it. Tech support are
very good at ignoring emails and closed support requests - bloody
useless at solving my problem though.

The problem symptoms are that the DSL504 locks up. The lights stop
flashing and a ping 192.168.0.1 goes unanswered. LAN still works so
it looks like it is just the controller crashing but I expect DLink
buy the LAN side in. Power on/off in the only cure.

I have tried specifying DNS as opposed to letting the router find it.
I have tried with and without a false LAN IP as a DMZ. The LAN is
statically routed BTW. I have tried TCP/UDP times set to minimum.
But the router worked fine on b2t10uk so I think it is a firmware bug.
If anyone has a copy of b2t10uk I'd really like to try it. DLink tech
support seem a lost cause - a chocolate teapot would be more use!

--

....malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)
Old May 21st 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like 1st level support... They appear to be kept uninformed to keep
2nd level support in a job.
You can call them, I think the number is 020 8731 5556 they should be able
to assist you.
I had a firmware question which L1 support could not answer, L2 support got
back to me the next day with all the information I needed.
Good luck !

Old May 21st 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Malcolm Reeves wrote in
:

Perhaps someone here will know the solution to my problem since
DLink certainly don't!

The key site for all DSL-504 related stuff is:
http://shadow.sentry.org/~trev/dsl50x.html

If you can't find the info here, it probably doesn't exist. It also
explains the version numbering... It really all depends on
*specifically* what model you have.

The issue with the router 'hanging' is well known (and also occurs on
the DSL-604+, the successor product with wireless). The usual solution
is to disable the DNS Proxy feature. Find the official instructions
he
http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/routers/DSL-
xxx_Disabling_Proxy_DNS.pdf
From what you say, you may have tried this already

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.