BT Broadband Voice and Telewest

Old May 21st 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Ducker

Default BT Broadband Voice and Telewest

I'm thinking about getting BT Broadband Voice, but while investigating it I
discovered that Telewest customers weren't able to call BBV users.

Is this still the case, or has it been rectified?

Andy D
Old May 21st 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
monkeying......

"Andrew Ducker" wrote in message
. 43...
I'm thinking about getting BT Broadband Voice, but while investigating it

discovered that Telewest customers weren't able to call BBV users.

Is this still the case, or has it been rectified?

Andy D

Thatd just be some stuff not up to date in there routing tables..... Unless
theres a weirdass commercial reason not to do it!!!

My BBV no. seems to be callable from anywhere..... And having all caller
options for free is a bonus ....

Still got some minor issues with quality at times lol....but then on
150k.... thatd be my own fault

---

Old May 21st 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

"monkeying" wrote in
message news:[email protected]
"Andrew Ducker" wrote in message
. 43...
I'm thinking about getting BT Broadband Voice, but while
investigating it I discovered that Telewest customers
weren't able to call BBV users.

Is this still the case, or has it been rectified?

Andy D

Thatd just be some stuff not up to date in there routing
tables..... Unless theres a weirdass commercial reason
not to do it!!!

My BBV no. seems to be callable from anywhere..... And
having all caller options for free is a bonus ....

Still got some minor issues with quality at times
lol....but then on 150k.... thatd be my own fault

I find that the quality difference between the low and high bandwidth rates is
quite big.

Old May 21st 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
monkeying......

"dd" wrote in message
"monkeying" wrote in
message news:[email protected]
"Andrew Ducker" wrote in message
. 43...
I'm thinking about getting BT Broadband Voice, but while
investigating it I discovered that Telewest customers
weren't able to call BBV users.

Is this still the case, or has it been rectified?

Andy D

Thatd just be some stuff not up to date in there routing
tables..... Unless theres a weirdass commercial reason
not to do it!!!

My BBV no. seems to be callable from anywhere..... And
having all caller options for free is a bonus ....

Still got some minor issues with quality at times
lol....but then on 150k.... thatd be my own fault

I find that the quality difference between the low and high bandwidth

rates is
quite big.

Any idea what codecs BT are using?

---

Old May 21st 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

I find that the quality difference between the low and
high bandwidth rates is quite big.

Any idea what codecs BT are using?

For the full rate I thought it was just the standard G711 codec.

Old May 21st 04, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
monkeying......

"dd" wrote in message

I find that the quality difference between the low and
high bandwidth rates is quite big.

Any idea what codecs BT are using?

For the full rate I thought it was just the standard G711 codec.

Ahhh but what about for the lower rate....

Given that G711 is theoretically 64k together with some extra
overhead.....at full duplex on 150k of BW i think i'd be fundamentally
buggered....

Hmmmm pity they won't give users access to the ata

---

Old May 21st 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

"monkeying" wrote in
message
"dd" wrote in message

I find that the quality difference between the low and
high bandwidth rates is quite big.

Any idea what codecs BT are using?

For the full rate I thought it was just the standard
G711 codec.

Ahhh but what about for the lower rate....

Given that G711 is theoretically 64k together with some
extra overhead.....at full duplex on 150k of BW i think
i'd be fundamentally buggered....

Hmmmm pity they won't give users access to the ata

Maybe you should upgrade your broadband speed?

Old May 21st 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
monkeying......

"dd" wrote in message
"monkeying" wrote in
message
"dd" wrote in message

I find that the quality difference between the low and
high bandwidth rates is quite big.

Any idea what codecs BT are using?

For the full rate I thought it was just the standard
G711 codec.

Ahhh but what about for the lower rate....

Given that G711 is theoretically 64k together with some
extra overhead.....at full duplex on 150k of BW i think
i'd be fundamentally buggered....

Hmmmm pity they won't give users access to the ata

Maybe you should upgrade your broadband speed?

Hmmmm i downgraded it because of lack of use just the other week..... still
NTHell are doing a freebie upgrade this year....at some point...

I'll see how it goes

---

Old May 21st 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

Maybe you should upgrade your broadband speed?

Hmmmm i downgraded it because of lack of use just the
other week..... still NTHell are doing a freebie upgrade
this year....at some point...

I'll see how it goes

I guess it's not really worth upgrading your connection just for the BBV.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you sign up for BBV? I don't have a
landline now, the main reason I chose it over something like FreeWorldDialup was
the free calling features and ease of use.

Old May 22nd 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
monkeying......

"dd" wrote in message
t...

Maybe you should upgrade your broadband speed?

Hmmmm i downgraded it because of lack of use just the
other week..... still NTHell are doing a freebie upgrade
this year....at some point...

I'll see how it goes

I guess it's not really worth upgrading your connection just for the BBV.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you sign up for BBV? I don't have a
landline now, the main reason I chose it over something like

FreeWorldDialup was
the free calling features and ease of use.

Same reasons... theres cheaper better solutions around....but not easier...
I wanted a hardware based solution that was straight out of the box....oh
and the call quality when i tested FWD wasnt great...

---