Aramiska Broadband, anybody using it?

Old May 21st 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

Default Aramiska Broadband, anybody using it?

My boss is looking at getting Aramiska 2 way satellite broadband.
Has anybody had any experience of using this?

Thanks for reading.

--
IamTheWalrus
Old May 21st 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

www.westhaddon.net uses it for their wireless ISP

Old May 24th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Haylett

IamTheWalrus wrote:
My boss is looking at getting Aramiska 2 way satellite broadband.
Has anybody had any experience of using this?

Yes, we're using it right now (though we also have Demon ISDN as a
backup). We've had it for about a year and a half now. It works
reasonably well - we probably average about 500kbps downloads on our
nominally 1Mbps link. It's quite expensive, and latency is high, not
unexpectedly:

PING www.demon.net (194.159.245.141) from 192.168.0.246 : 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=1.627 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=1.317 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=2 ttl=244 time=1.645 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=3 ttl=244 time=1.594 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=4 ttl=244 time=1.467 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=5 ttl=244 time=1.246 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=6 ttl=244 time=1.520 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=7 ttl=244 time=1.632 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=8 ttl=244 time=1.204 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=9 ttl=244 time=1.418 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=10 ttl=244 time=1.354 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=11 ttl=244 time=1.470 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=12 ttl=244 time=1.209 sec
64 bytes from 194.159.245.141: icmp_seq=13 ttl=244 time=1.793 sec

We also run (or ran) VPN over it (until MS problems with multi-homing
caused me to turn it off for the time being, bah).

Let me know if you want any more info.

Andrew.
Old May 25th 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

Yes, we're using it right now (though we also have Demon ISDN as a
backup). We've had it for about a year and a half now. It works
reasonably well - we probably average about 500kbps downloads on our
nominally 1Mbps link. It's quite expensive, and latency is high, not
unexpectedly:

Thanks Andrew.

Was it the setup that was expensive or the day to day use?
--
IamTheWalrus
Old May 25th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

www.westhaddon.net uses it for their wireless ISP

Thanks for that Graham.
--
IamTheWalrus
Old May 26th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
airnet

IamTheWalrus wrote in message ...
My boss is looking at getting Aramiska 2 way satellite broadband.
Has anybody had any experience of using this?

Thanks for reading.

Ian

I am using Aramiska as my backhaul feed to a wireless broadband
service here in Northern Ireland.

So far I have found the service good considering the inherent latency
in Satellites. I typically get around 500-800ms ping times.
Initially nothing seems to happen and then suddenly the whole web page
is present. This is because the page is retrieved in its entirety to
the data center in Belgium before being transmitted back to the
browser. This same burst mode also makes downloading very good as the
contention ratios are much loser than ADSL. No good for gaming
though!

Paddy
www.air-net.co.uk
Old May 27th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gary

getting the aramiska 2 meg service installed 2moro morning loks quite good
from what i have sen so far but then again anything better than my standard
slow rural dial ip
om...

Old May 28th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

I am using Aramiska as my backhaul feed to a wireless broadband
service here in Northern Ireland.

So far I have found the service good considering the inherent latency
in Satellites. I typically get around 500-800ms ping times.
Initially nothing seems to happen and then suddenly the whole web page
is present. This is because the page is retrieved in its entirety to
the data center in Belgium before being transmitted back to the
browser. This same burst mode also makes downloading very good as the
contention ratios are much loser than ADSL. No good for gaming
though!

Paddy
www.air-net.co.uk

Thanks for that Paddy.

What's it like for email? Some of our emails can be quite large (5 MB
ish)?

Cheers.
--
IamTheWalrus
Old May 28th 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

getting the aramiska 2 meg service installed 2moro morning loks quite good
from what i have sen so far but then again anything better than my standard
slow rural dial ip

Nice one!

Please let me know how you get on.

Apparently we can get some sort of grant for rural broadband?
Boss is looking into it.

Cheers.
--
IamTheWalrus
Old May 29th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Huizer

The wise IamTheWalrus enlightened me with:
Thanks for that Paddy.

What's it like for email? Some of our emails can be quite large (5 MB
ish)?

Cheers.

Email is not interactive, so you don't notice the latency. But email is
not a problem. 5Mb is no problem (I suppose that is 'before sending', so
that's 7 or 8Mb when ascii-encoded in your mail

Mark
--
The day Microsoft stops making products that suck, is the day
they start producing vacuum cleaners