NTL Broadband MAC Address

Old May 21st 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Weston

Default NTL Broadband MAC Address

Hi,

Can anybody tell me, because I've checked out the dreadful ntlworld faq and
had no luck, do NTL require registration of MAC address a la Telewest before
one can use their cable modem broadband? My Dad's PC has had to be replaced
and I'd like to know how much configuration of a replacement will be
necessary.

Cheers
Chris Weston

Old May 21st 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Evans

In article , Chris
Weston wrote
do NTL require registration of MAC address a la Telewest before
one can use their cable modem broadband?

No, NTL don't require preregistration of the MAC address of equipment
that you connect to their modem.

It's all explained at Robin Walker's very helpful site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html.

--
Bob Evans
Old May 21st 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Evans

In article , chris
wrote
On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:30:02 +0100 and in article E3P
, Bob Evans said...
: In article , Chris
: Weston wrote
:
: No, NTL don't require preregistration of the MAC address of equipment
: that you connect to their modem.

I'm afraid they do. You can have up to three different MAC addresses
connected with a 48 hour period iirc.

I believe the answer I gave was accurate. NTL (unlike Telewest, I am
told) do not require their customers to _pre-register_ (e.g. by
telephone) the MAC address of a device that is to be connected to their
_cable modem_. However the procedure for those using set-top boxes is
slightly more complicated.

See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html
for chapter & verse.

--
Bob Evans
Old May 22nd 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Clark

Historians believe that in newspost
on Fri, 21 May 2004,
Chris Weston penned the following
literary masterpiece:
Can anybody tell me, because I've checked out the dreadful ntlworld faq and
had no luck, do NTL require registration of MAC address a la Telewest before
one can use their cable modem broadband? My Dad's PC has had to be replaced
and I'd like to know how much configuration of a replacement will be
necessary.

Assuming his NTL modem has had it's MAC address already registered (as
he has been using it one presume it has been) then if your father
changes his PC or installs say a router or whatever down stream of that
NTL modem, nothing needs to be done.

If he is changing the NTL modem, then that will need registering.

Duncan

they go flying by.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.
Old May 22nd 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Weston

"Duncan Clark" wrote in message
[...]

Righto, thanks everyone for the answers. The modem isn't moving, just the
PC changing. I now understand that the PC will connect with no problems (as
long as three others haven't used the same modem within the last 48 hours
.

I should of course have specified the fact that it was the PC MAC address
that I was referring to!

Many thanks again
--

Chris Weston

Old May 22nd 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Weston

"Bob Evans" wrote in message
In article , Chris
Weston wrote
do NTL require registration of MAC address a la Telewest before
one can use their cable modem broadband?

No, NTL don't require preregistration of the MAC address of equipment
that you connect to their modem.

It's all explained at Robin Walker's very helpful site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html.

And this is one very useful site. Thanks for the link.

--
Chris Weston