Help needed choosing ethernet modem!

Old May 21st 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

Default Help needed choosing ethernet modem!

Hi, need urgent help.
Have got a USB adsl modem (binatone) and
although I get a constant connection, I get
very regular freezes and hangs and frequently have
to reboot. Have been told that this is USB - correct?
and have been advised to go for an Ethernet modem/router.

1. Is this is wise move? Am I likely to experience less freezing?

2. Which ones would you recommend out of the following (if any?)

3Com (Dual Link)
Trust (Ethernet&USB)
Alcatel Speedtouch Pro
Ethernet DM602
Zoom 5551
D-Link DSL-300G

A reason I got USB was because of the ease of set-up and my lack of
knowledge regarding networking. I've heard that configuring ethernet modem
routers can be difficult and also updating firmware can be risky which I'm
rather wary of. Basically I want a stable, secure, reliable connection which
does not tie up my PCs resources and freezes everything!.
I'm willing to pay extra for it and so would be extremely grateful for
your advice and suggestions.

Thanks!

Old May 21st 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mindmender

"Harry" wrote in message
Hi, need urgent help.
Have got a USB adsl modem (binatone) and
although I get a constant connection, I get
very regular freezes and hangs and frequently have
to reboot. Have been told that this is USB - correct?
and have been advised to go for an Ethernet modem/router.

1. Is this is wise move? Am I likely to experience less freezing?

2. Which ones would you recommend out of the following (if any?)

3Com (Dual Link)
Trust (Ethernet&USB)
Alcatel Speedtouch Pro
Ethernet DM602
Zoom 5551
D-Link DSL-300G

snipped a bit

I have only experience with a DSL-300G, and I was so disappointed. It kept
disconnecting from myADSL side. Rebooting always gt it back on-line ok.
D-Link Tech Support was equally frustrating, as I found most staff spoke
very poor English.

Old May 21st 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"Mindmender" wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, not a good start though as I saw the d-link as the best bet :-(

Old May 21st 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

"Harry" wrote in message
Hi, need urgent help.
Have got a USB adsl modem (binatone) and
although I get a constant connection, I get
very regular freezes and hangs and frequently have
to reboot. Have been told that this is USB - correct?
and have been advised to go for an Ethernet modem/router.

I'd recommend the Netgear DG834, a four port modem/router with built in
firewall, and less than 65 at EBuyer.

A breeze to setup using the wizard, and runs fine and dandy, and I've got 3
pc's running on mine.

Russell

Old May 22nd 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

I use a DSL-300G+ and have had superb results with it.
Since their support staff are based in Copenhagen - I found their command of
English *FAR* superior to my command of Danish! (which is non-existant
BTW!).
If you use it with the DLink DI-624 or DI-624+ router (this may work with
other routers) then I'd advise you to set it up in "bridge" mode (passing
the ADSL connection directly to the router) and then set the router up on
PPPoE rather than PPPoA (the advised BT connection method). However this
won't work on some BT exchanges - you'll have to suck it and see!
This has completely eliminated all of my random disconnection problems (and
DHCP lease timeouts of ~30 seconds!) so I'm now a happy bunny :-)

Old May 22nd 04, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fish

Harry wrote:
[...]

The DLink 300G has been or is about to be replaced by the 300T so be
careful. Early A1 models of 300G couldn't authenticate properly and are
well worth avoiding. The later A2 models weren't much better in my
experience. They are also fragile - I had two drop dead in a month. The
300T works perfectly well when connected directly to a PC but may not
work when connected to a router (meaning, it and the router don't get
on). Early models of the 300T had nat and a firewall turned on by
default and you couldn't turned them off without telnetting into the
router and arsing around with Linux commands. That meant you couldn't
open any ports on the firewall and were generally stuffed. Recent
firmware claims to have them now turned off by default. Either way, this
strikes me as a very dubious unit, though I used one in bridge mode
which is the only way it will work with my DLink router.

You would be much better off, I suspect, avoiding standalone modems
entirely and going for a combined modem-router.

Fish
Old May 22nd 04, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

I recently responded to someone else about USB and replacement with a
set-up as you are talking about. I repeat it:

"I have just changed from USB to a router (Belkin) and ADSL Modem
(D-Link) because the USB connection was forever breaking. Very
frustrating when downloading large files.

I am no technician so can only go off what others say (it is something
to do with the USB connection being dependant upon the PC and
therefore is not absolutely stable - thus there are breaks in
communication even if the actual signal on the ADSL line is constant).

I am pleased to say that my new set-up is rock solid and I am able to
attach 4 PC's to run at the same time on Broadband, if desired.

The only complications I had were with the Belkin Wizard which
repeatedly reported that it had been unable to do 100% configuration.I
kept putting in the information and eventually I checked at the ftp
site and found I was actually connected."

The cost was approx 50 for each item. I reckon that this is about
10-15 more expensive than buying a combined router/modem.

Make sure that you get all the relevant information from your ISP.
Static IP / Subnet Mask / Gateway / DNS addresses ie primary and
secondary. Also ensure that you have the correct login name and
password that you need for connection.

By entering the following in the DOS window you can retrieve some of
the information from your computer
c: ipconfig /all

You may find however that a lot of the info is picked up
automatically. Often by simply entering 0.0.0.0 in the required areas
for addresses the equipment/software will automatically select the
correcr settings.

KM
Old May 22nd 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark E

In article ,
says...
[...]

I have just had a VERY unhappy experience with a Netgear DG834UK
Ethernet Modem/Router which was faulty. I read good reports on the US
Robotics models and my first choice would have been the USB 019105
(Wired) ADSL modem/router (out of stock when I was trying to get one). I
now have one after getting a refund on the Netgear. Two days operation
and excellent so far! Useful feature not seen on many models a power
switch on the back so you can easily turn it off when not in use. Very
easy to install and I have it linked to a desktop PC and when needed a
laptop.

Mark E