ADSL setup advice

Old May 23rd 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Little PussyCat

Default ADSL setup advice

Hiya,

I ordered ADSL about 2 weeks ago (with Claranet,who I'm with for dialup
now), still waiting for it to be activated, (BT had to dig up part of my
drive to replace my phoneline) and they still have to take off my DACs.

Anyway, I have a few questions.
We currently have two telephone lines here, well DACs, and the Master Socket
of the telephone number I want ADSL on is situated downstairs, My computer
is upstairs, will that be a problem?
Another question/thought is I have a master socket right next to my computer
which is for the line I want disconnected, now, can BT convert that socket
for use with the other number as well? It would be a far better arrangement
In my opinion.

Unfortunetely I don't know when BT are coming out again, they were meant to
come out last week again but never showed up, I am at work during the day
so have to leave instructions for whoever is in the house.

Regards,

Jayne

Old May 23rd 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Little PussyCat wrote:
Hiya,

I ordered ADSL about 2 weeks ago (with Claranet,who I'm with for
dialup now), still waiting for it to be activated, (BT had to dig up
part of my drive to replace my phoneline) and they still have to take
off my DACs.

Anyway, I have a few questions.
We currently have two telephone lines here, well DACs, and the Master
Socket of the telephone number I want ADSL on is situated downstairs,
My computer is upstairs, will that be a problem?

Not if you can run a line up stairs from the master socket (or buy a
wireless setup). Phones are very easy to wire, but it can mean major
redecoration to bury a phone cable out of sight. Remember, though, that
they are happy running along an outside wall.

Another question/thought is I have a master socket right next to my
computer which is for the line I want disconnected, now, can BT
convert that socket for use with the other number as well? It would
be a far better arrangement In my opinion.

Well, that depends on where the wires run! If the wire to the upstairs
socket runs near to the one downstais then it should be straightforward as
you have, in effect, a ready made extension cable.

Old May 23rd 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Little PussyCat wrote:

[...]

You really need to be there to negotiate with the BT engineer, rather than
relaying messages via a third party. You should be able to pin them down on
time, within a couple of hours.

If the cable going to the upstairs socket passes near the downstairs socket,
it should be possible to connect them together - with one being the master
and the other being an extension socket. It *should* be possible to specify
which is to be the master (but see below).

If you're planning to use micro-filters in all sockets, it really doesn't
matter which is the master. If you're planning to use a filtered faceplate
in the master to avoid the need for micro-filters, the upstairs socket will
need to be the master. [This second solution is, in my view, better - but
will only be possible if the cable running between the sockets has 3 pairs
(as opposed to 2 pairs) of wires in it.]

If you *do* use a filtered faceplate, it is your responsibility to fit it
(or have it fitted) in place of the BT-supplied faceplate (2 screws and 3
wires to Krone into the back). If you buy your filtered faceplate in
advance, you might pursuade the BT man to fit it for you - because it's no
extra work. Doubtless he isn't supposed to, so you'll need to be nice to
him!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 24th 04, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

"Little PussyCat" wrote in message
news

Hiya,

I ordered ADSL about 2 weeks ago (with Claranet,who I'm with for dialup
now), still waiting for it to be activated, (BT had to dig up part of my
drive to replace my phoneline) and they still have to take off my DACs.

Anyway, I have a few questions.
We currently have two telephone lines here, well DACs, and the Master

Socket
of the telephone number I want ADSL on is situated downstairs, My computer
is upstairs, will that be a problem?

As others have explained ... probably (and hopefully!) not. If all else
fails, you could always install a wireless router at your master socket and
have a WLAN (wireless network) in your house, no cables, no mess. Then you
could have an internet connection in every room.

---