broadband used with dial-up

Old May 24th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jane Vernon

Default broadband used with dial-up

I have a broadband connection with Nildram. Recently another computer
has been installed in the house and for the time being at least we would
like to continue using it on dial-up rather than networking. Sometimes
this works without problems. However sometimes, and for the last two
weeks or so all the time, when the dial-up connection is made the
broadband connection fails. I have also discovered that I cannot use my
own dial-up modem for sending faxes without the same thing happening.

At the moment BT are telling us that that we are trying to put too much
into the line and we cannot expect to be able to use both at once, but,
partly because sometimes we have gone for two or three weeks without
problem, we don't entirely believe this.

Phone calls work perfectly. We have micro-filters on every phone line
including those to which the dial-up modems are connected.

Does anyone have any explanation and/or remedies for this problem?

--
Jane Vernon
Old May 24th 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 24 May 2004 08:30:01 +0100, Jane Vernon
wrote:

Does anyone have any explanation and/or remedies for this problem?

Try to experiment with both sets of equipment connected to the master
socket (via filter) with no other equipment connected anywhere else.
Are you using just one type of filter? - try alternatives.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old May 24th 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jane Vernon

In message , Hiram Hackenbacker
writes
wrote:

Does anyone have any explanation and/or remedies for this problem?

Try to experiment with both sets of equipment connected to the master
socket (via filter) with no other equipment connected anywhere else.
Are you using just one type of filter? - try alternatives.

Thanks, we'll try that. As to different types of filters, I didn't know
there were any.

--
Jane Vernon
Old May 24th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:48:34 +0100, Jane Vernon
wrote:

Does anyone have any explanation and/or remedies for this problem?

Try to experiment with both sets of equipment connected to the master
socket (via filter) with no other equipment connected anywhere else.
Are you using just one type of filter? - try alternatives.

Thanks, we'll try that. As to different types of filters, I didn't know
there were any.

There are at least four different makes that I have used. Some have
had problems inter-working with particular fax machines and modems.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker