Quick phone question

Old May 24th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Father Jack Hackett

Default Quick phone question

I'm on a BT line, and I would like to ask if there is any way that I could
ask BT to barr withheld and unavailable numbers from calling my landline.

Reason being, I'm sick to the back teeth of getting calls from the likes of
Sky, My bank and those stupid automated "you've won a prize" calls.

I'm sure they could apply these restrictions, just wanted to ask if anyone
else has done without looking a plonk when I ring up BT.

Thanks

Pete

Old May 24th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:45:57 +0100, "Father Jack Hackett"
wrote:

I'm on a BT line, and I would like to ask if there is any way that I could
ask BT to barr withheld and unavailable numbers from calling my landline.

Reason being, I'm sick to the back teeth of getting calls from the likes of
Sky, My bank and those stupid automated "you've won a prize" calls.

I'm sure they could apply these restrictions, just wanted to ask if anyone
else has done without looking a plonk when I ring up BT.

Are you registered with the TPS? If not register as this is a free
and useful way of reducing junk callers. Then write to specific
companies you have a relationship with (Sky, your bank) and tell them
they can't make marketing contact with you.

Finally the two relevant BT services are ACR (anonymous call
rejection) and CTR (choose to refuse). Both will block "withheld"
numbers, neither will block "unavailable" numbers. The latter are now
very popular with call centres.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old May 24th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dale Harper

TPS Website
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

I registered 12 months ago and I very rarely receive any unwanted phone
calls

And also the mail Preference service

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

Both take a couple of months to filter through

Dale

Old May 24th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GwG

wrote:

I'm on a BT line, and I would like to ask if there is any way that I

could
ask BT to barr withheld and unavailable numbers from calling my

landline.

Are you registered with the TPS? If not register as this is a free
and useful way of reducing junk callers. Then write to specific
companies you have a relationship with (Sky, your bank) and tell them
they can't make marketing contact with you.

Finally the two relevant BT services are ACR (anonymous call
rejection) and CTR (choose to refuse). Both will block "withheld"
numbers, neither will block "unavailable" numbers. The latter are now
very popular with call centres.

I think BT require a monthly contribution for allowing you to use these
services, probably to offset the revenue they lose, from the companies
not being able to call you.

Old May 24th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:46:49 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

Finally the two relevant BT services are ACR (anonymous call
rejection) and CTR (choose to refuse). Both will block "withheld"
numbers, neither will block "unavailable" numbers. The latter are now
very popular with call centres.

I think BT require a monthly contribution for allowing you to use these
services, probably to offset the revenue they lose, from the companies
not being able to call you.

Both services are chargable on regular BT lines (but free on
BroadbandVoice).

--
Hiram Hackenbacker